Propellerhead Software
Old 2011-04-23, 14:49

Easter blues? Stroll on, blues Miners

Two bluesy numbers

Miners' Blues, a slow guitar-based jam
http://soundcloud.com/thequixotes/miners-blues

and

Stroll on, an upbeat keyboard jam, perhaps what the Doors would have come up with if they'd written the Get Carter theme
http://soundcloud.com/thequixotes/stroll-on

Gear list
Various guitar samples, REB, RDK2, ElectroMechanical, Abbey Road Challen, JP Retro Organs (Farfisa)

Last edited by JiggeryPokery; 2011-04-23 at 14:51.
Old 2011-04-23, 21:35

Cool In the key of blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
Two bluesy numbers
I love blues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
Stroll on, an upbeat keyboard jam, perhaps what the Doors would have come up with if they'd written the Get Carter theme
http://soundcloud.com/thequixotes/stroll-on
To be honest, I thought that sounded a little egotistical. However, after listening, you're just stating the facts. Just the facts, man, just the facts.

I really like this one. Thanks!
Old 2011-04-23, 22:08

I am confident that this would receive Ray Mazarek's seal of approval.
Old 2011-04-24, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboogieman View Post
I love blues!

To be honest, I thought that sounded a little egotistical. However, after listening, you're just stating the facts. Just the facts, man, just the facts.

I really like this one. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktw View Post
I am confident that this would receive Ray Mazarek's seal of approval.
Heh, cheers guys. I'd be a happy to get even a modicum of their talent!

I still can't get my mixing down right though... fine through the 280Pros (excellent 'phones, but I'm pretty sure now they are not flat enough for mixing), not bad at all through the Alesis monitors, but on my Senn in-ears.... jeez, my mixes sound fuckin' hideously terrible. Everyone else's stuff sounds fine. If I cut frequencies much more it will only be audible to whales. Anyone got any ideas where I'm still going wrong? (Apart from responding to swardle threads, ofc )
Old 2011-04-24, 18:16

Post Mastering info

I've had the same problem with mastering. I don't think there is a quick-fix, easy answer. Basically, each instrument needs to carve out its own space. This can be done with EQ, pan, gates and/or modifying the envelopes independently. (To summarize.)

When it sounds good on one set of speakers, but not others, that's a sure sign that the dynamic range/frequency response of those speakers is being exceeded. So each instrument needs a space within a more limited "range". (Again, to summarize.) If you have a spectrum analyzer it helps to solo each instrument through it and look at the frequencies used. Then listen to the mix on every pair of speakers that you can.

Based on your comment, I assume you're using LP/BP/HP filtering. That usually helps me. It also helps to get a good mix without any filters/EQ. Also, use compression liberally, if at all. And only as a last step!

The best advice I can give is to read everything that you can on the subject of audio mastering. Many consider the bible on the subject to be "Mastering Audio, Second Edition: The art and the science" by Bob Katz. It is excellent, and I learned a lot from it. It's geared to audio engineers, and it covers a lot of hardware, which was interesting, but not applicable for me. (I only want to master my own stuff, possibly work of some friends, and do not plan to make a big investment of money, although I will spend time.) This book is very information-dense, so is not a light read. It does cover the topic very thoroughly, and that's exactly what I needed.

Another book that applies specifically to Reason is Kurt Kurasaki's "Power Tools for Reason 3.0". I still recommend it. It covers a lot of things besides mastering, but he explains a lot of concepts that helped me.

Your songs sounded good on my Sony V900HDs. (I did not listen on anything else, but would not be opposed to doing so, if it would help.) Of course those are also professional headphones.

If I can help in any way, please let me know. (However, I am not an expert - only a hobbyist. At least I am better than I used to be at mastering.)

It is a very complex science and art, and there is a reason that audio engineers earn good money.

(So much for a quick answer!)
Old 2011-04-24, 20:01

In your wonderful song, "Roll On", their are three instruments all in the same space: the wide frequency bass, the heavily mid-range electric piano, and the reverbed Fenderish guitar. All the other things seem pretty well spaced out. That type of clean-up is hard to do and usually I just give up and enjoy the song. But I would suggest a few things if you want to drive yourself crazy. One is make the bass a little less wide and instead emphasize the attack of the note and just one part of the nice round tone that is currently taking over a fairly large part of the lower spectrum. Bass is so hard to record because when it sounds nice and full, it's gonna take over the entire lower half of the spectrum. That's why the old Fender Jazz bass and the Hoffner bass were used so well, they had very narrow frequency outputs that sat perfectly in even the most complex arrangements. I've seen people take incredible Jazz basses and put heavy Badass bridges on them and utterly destroy the multi-timbral tone. So maybe for your song, you could make the bass overall lower, but with two narrow Q areas bumped up to bring out a sound that doesn't overwhelm the other two instruments (piano and guitar). Likewise with the piano and guitar, try to find one or two relatively narrow EQ spikes that let them shine but not fill the same space as the other two.

I very guilty of not following my own advice on this because it takes a lot of time, but when I do, it usually turns out good.

Hard panning sometimes helps a lot too.

Love the song by the way.
Reason 7; 27" iMac; Akai MPK88; Konnekt6; Amplitube; Miroslav Gold; Fender Strat, Tele, Jazz Bass, Blues Jr III, SCXD; Spector Bass; Agile Les Paul; Ergo Bass; Zero-G Total Rex; Trident A-Range; RE-2A; Vermilion; Creme; Revival; Futurator; Glitch; Logic Studio 9; Reaktor 5.8.
Old 2011-04-25, 13:28

Thanks guys.

All that advice is pretty much what I do, but there's a couple of points in both posts I'm thinking "yeah, that's worth a try".

I'm generally finding that everything sounds really scratchy through smaller "personal" headphones. The snare in Stroll On, for example, just overwhelms everything yet sounds fine to me through pro gear. Maybe I'm cutting too much with the LPF? Stuff like guitars I seem to end up removing everything down from 500-700Hz.

And then there's that difficult 1-5kHz range - the backing guitar on Miners' Blues, for example, is still too hot: I cut more but it disappears from mix... boost the level to compensate and it becomes too much of a lead! Grrrrrrr.

"It also helps to get a good mix without any filters/EQ"

I have tried this, but have never managed it