Propellerhead Software
Old 2011-06-10, 10:04

Exported Audio Quality

Hey guys my concern is the audio quality after exporting a song out of Reason 5. My exported songs sound muddy. In the program they sound great. I'm not sure if its because the levels on certain instruments are peaking or not. I've tried adjusting everything to where nothing is peaking but then it sounds very "weak". It seems lowering the volume level dramatically reduces the punch or power of an instrument leaving me very unsatisfied. I guess my main question is there a happy medium? Or am I doing something wrong or missing something entirely?

Thanks!
Old 2011-06-10, 12:40
Propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy21 View Post
Hey guys my concern is the audio quality after exporting a song out of Reason 5. My exported songs sound muddy. In the program they sound great. I'm not sure if its because the levels on certain instruments are peaking or not. I've tried adjusting everything to where nothing is peaking but then it sounds very "weak". It seems lowering the volume level dramatically reduces the punch or power of an instrument leaving me very unsatisfied. I guess my main question is there a happy medium? Or am I doing something wrong or missing something entirely?

Thanks!
The audio quality of your exported track should be no different from what you hear inside Reason if you're exporting it at 16bit 44.1khz or higher.

Taking the volume down will make things sound more "weak" because suddenly they're not as loud. A tip is to make sure nothing is peaking (don't let a channel hit the red/0dB) and after that you can compress and maximize your whole mix if you want.

Just for emphasis though: it should sound the same in Reason as the .wav/.aif you exported. Got any more info?
Old 2011-06-11, 10:01

Hmm.. It's definitely much more clear and pronounced before I export it. If the audio quality should be no different then I'm missing something. Like I said it seems when I adjust the track levels to eliminate all peaking it sounds weak. Is there a way to see the dB of a track on the mixer? How can I compress and maximize the whole mix? Isn't that already applied in the mastering suite? I'm sorry I've only been using a DAW for a little over a year now and I'm still learning about it all. I appreciate your replies!
Old 2011-06-11, 12:02
Propellerhead

Quote:
Hmm.. It's definitely much more clear and pronounced before I export it. If the audio quality should be no different then I'm missing something. Like I said it seems when I adjust the track levels to eliminate all peaking it sounds weak. Is there a way to see the dB of a track on the mixer? How can I compress and maximize the whole mix? Isn't that already applied in the mastering suite? I'm sorry I've only been using a DAW for a little over a year now and I'm still learning about it all. I appreciate your replies!
If the matsering suite is not bypassed, it should apply limiting to your mix at least. You might have to open it up to turn on the compression.

In Reason's mixer it is a bit harder to see the exact dB of a track, easier when using Record. However if you turn on the "Big Meter" by clicking the button WAY up top at the Hardware interface and then using the "Channel" rotary on it to select output 1-2 you will see the levels of your entire mix. If you then solo a track in your mixer you'll see that channel's dB live. Remember to BYPASS the mastering suite when doing this so you will see the level BEFORE compression/limiting too.

Feel free to post an .rns file and I'm sure people will take a look at it and try to figure out why you hear a drop in audio quality. Like I said, there really shouldn't be a difference between the audio you hear inside Reason from when you've exported it.
Old 2011-06-11, 12:29

Stick the reason 5 file up and let us play with it - that's the easiest way
Old 2011-06-11, 16:24

Quote:
This comes up again and again over time, and in each case it's been some sort of use error or 'flaw' in the comparison between the before and after files. There has not yet be one case of a confirmed 'difference' of any sort between the bounced file and the original file. Even a slight difference of a decibel or two will make you think that one track sounds 'better' (when it's only louder). So you gotta be sure you are actually comparing the two track fairly.

The simplest mastering approach (mainly to prevent clipping and gain some perceived loudness) is to put a Maximizer as the final device in the Master Insert (checking to be sure the 'signal path' is set to "INSERTS PRE COMPRESSOR" is NOT set (the default). On the new Maximizer, click on "4ms Lookahead", and then adjust your input level until you see a few dBs on the gain reduction meter. :-)
USA
Old 2011-06-11, 16:33
Propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
This comes up again and again over time, and in each case it's been some sort of use error or 'flaw' in the comparison between the before and after files. There has not yet be one case of a confirmed 'difference' of any sort between the bounced file and the original file. Even a slight difference of a decibel or two will make you think that one track sounds 'better' (when it's only louder). So you gotta be sure you are actually comparing the two track fairly.

The simplest mastering approach (mainly to prevent clipping and gain some perceived loudness) is to put a Maximizer as the final device in the Master Insert (checking to be sure the 'signal path' is set to "INSERTS PRE COMPRESSOR" is NOT set (the default). On the new Maximizer, click on "4ms Lookahead", and then adjust your input level until you see a few dBs on the gain reduction meter. :-)
Stop being more articulate than me! <3
Old 2011-06-11, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasHG View Post
Stop being more articulate than me! <3
I think Propellerhead is soon a employee richer!
Fearing for your job MattiasHG?

Mmmmm. Seems I'm in a mode this day!
And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !
Quote:
Originally Posted by obroadfield View Post
You're a hero Eric...thank you.
Old 2011-06-12, 08:46

Ok, not thinking too straight, but could you bounce the whole track down, load it onto a separate audio track within the original track, invert its waveform and if you then play the track you should hear nothing as your bounced track cancels out the sequenced track?
Old 2011-10-21, 23:54

Quote:

Thanks!
I know this is a few months old but I have had a simular problem. I think it may be using an ASIO driver in Reason and then hearing the track with a DX driver in an external program (Wavepad for me). It seems to sound much better in Reason (depth in the bass mainly) with the ASIO. When I change the driver that Reason is using do DX or MME the quality changes.

If this is the same problem I guess the solution would be to master with a DX or MME driver after the live input sampling support from ASIO is no longer required.

-UC-