Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2011-06-21, 19:21

Dedicated features for Reason on stage

Given Reason seems to be used more and more by live musicians as a great "in-the-box" replacement to hardware synths on stage, it would be great for Reason to introduce some more 'live' specific features intended purely for stage use.

I use Reason on stage to control all our midi controllers set up, with each patch being inside a Combinator, and mapping in the combinator being used to separate out different parts to different controllers.

What I've noticed is that Reason is now using a constant 20% of CPU, even when no notes are being played, which I assume is just all the active components sitting in the session ready to make noise.

Which brings me to this list of features I think would be great to be introduced for reliable stage performance...
  • A way to make it so only selected instruments in your rack are active at any one time (then CPU resources are only used for the active instrument)
  • An easy way to change from instrument to instrument from a controller, thus removing the need for any keyboard/mouse interaction on stage (I'm aware there's a couple of basic functions in place here such as move up/down sequencer, or up/down combinator patch... but could be improved upon!)
  • A way to choose which device from Reasons registered devices and controllers that an instrument will respond to (eg. One subtractor takes input from a 25-key controller for bass synths, and another subtractor takes input from a 49-key controller for lead synths). This would beat the current method of just mapping particular octaves to different instruments in Combinator, and having your devices permanently set on those octaves.
  • More extensive mapping options for situations where multiple controllers are connected to the one Reason brain. Things such as isolation of the pitch/mod wheels, so if one controller is pitch bending up, another one could be pitching bending down, without either effecting each other (just an example)
  • A slightly different view - perhaps the sequencer isnt even needed given everything is being performed live
  • Some slightly more detailed system usage statistics. Every live musician is always paranoid about how stable his laptop is when its running half the noise you hear on stage at times.
  • A 'Live' mode or view within Reason, or dedicated version of the software which could house all these additional features!!

Anyone else have some wish-list features for using it on stage? We can dream right??

Last edited by aaronphshort; 2011-06-21 at 19:25.
Old 2011-06-22, 05:39

I don't want to use Ableton, I want to use Reason so I'm with you ... Reason Live !!
Old 2011-06-25, 21:01

this is my number one reason for purchasing ''Reason'' in the first place.to replace my rack of gear.,yet i use my modules more now because of these issues you point out.i need a new live performance screen,because i actually play keyboards and a dedicated chainer screen would solve my problems.i am now thinking of moving to logic only for their''mainstage''setup.Reason has become too blooted i just need a simple live stage version for people that just want to play their ''combi'' patches live.
Old 2011-06-25, 21:51

I'm in..Live mode for Reason!!! ... How cool is that!!!

I would probably need a usb controller to switch bank sounds for my guitar...and for voice it would be cool as well....

I think that there are two types of live performances...Electronic/Dj/Mixing music sets...and Rock/pop/jazz music sets...
I dont know how it could be done...but is a great idea...

Good Luck
Danny Garcia
Old 2011-06-25, 22:23

Some old ideas that I keep on putting out there re Blocks

- Ability to Switch blocks on the fly (OK you can do that in Song mode right now, but an expanded blocks view would be great)
- This should be selectable from next beat/ beat bar/ end of block (a bit like Dr Octo Rex does now)
- Crossfade between blocks to allow mixing
- Master effects slot for each block so that effects can be performed over all tracks

Already we can amend filters etc during playback in block mode. I personally think Reason 6 will have some expanded blocks funtionality and that version in Reason 5 was just to get us started.....

Andy
Old 2011-06-26, 14:52

Glad there's a few others in the same boat. It just seems like Reason is growing as such a great live tool for the touring musician and its being used more and more out of the studio and on the stage.

Are developers keeping an eye on this forum or are we just teasing ourselves with cool ideas?
Old 2011-06-26, 17:24

Add your ideas to this thread...

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...=132899&page=9

The idea is for Recycle to become the dedicated live tool everybody's craving for.
Old 2011-06-26, 17:30

+1

I would love to be able to do more with Blocks than linear arrangement. Combine them, start / stop them via different controls...

Old 2011-06-27, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotica View Post
+1

I would love to be able to do more with Blocks than linear arrangement. Combine them, start / stop them via different controls...

Nice Idea!!! I´d love to see this happen! There is a lot of potential in Blocks!
Old 2011-07-04, 13:39

Please Props, bring BLOCKS to the next level