Propellerhead Software
Old 2011-07-30, 19:56

New Sampler

Let's face it, we need a new sampler. The nnxt and nn19 are really cool, and they are some serious workhorses, but the next version of reason is going to need a sampler that will take all of our sampling needs to the next level. Plus, now that reason is going 64bit, ram issues will soon be a thing of the past, especially for large sample patches, like hyper samples - and what ever may evolve from that.

I think if we make a thread that lists all of our needs and wants, it is possible that the next version of reason may contain some of our suggestions to bring our sampling dreams into reality.

I'm not a mock-up master by any means, but hopefully some of these suggestions get visualized -

A sequencer. A good sampler should have an assignable sequencer for most parameters with plenty of modes to choose from. Also, a Rex file mode with various ways to trigger Rex files.

Mod matrix. Sampling and synthesis are not all that different from each other aside from the signal source. Most modern soft samplers blur the lines between sampler and synth. A full-on mod matrix is not an extra anymore, it's a necessity!

Polyphonic everything. Envelopes, LFOs, arp, etc. Everything should be polyphonic.

Time stretch, pitch shift, various algorithms - the classic pitch sample speed to key is great, but we need more options. Take all the pitch and time stretch technology from the sequencer (and Neptune) and put it in a new sampler so it can be played on keys. Also, this could potentially open the the door to grain-like and wavetable type synthesis.

Some sort of sample and hold function that can use the samples loaded, or external signals. This is important for more than just studder effects, though I'm sure you could make some really cool studders with something like this.

Unlimited stages for parameters like lfo and envelopes. I'm not exactly sure how this could be done, but it would really come in handy for creating sequenced modulations. Jiggerypokery posted about adding a stage to the nnxt envelope which made me think.

Well, those are just a few ideas, I'd like to see what other users would want in a new sampler.

Old 2011-07-30, 20:20

Honestly if the NNXT would just add a disc streaming that would solve a few problems.
Old 2011-07-30, 21:30

Vote for SFZ support.