Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2011-08-08, 12:15

Lightbulb How to improve quality of instruments

Hi

I was in front of some guys which are working with Logic. And yes, I agree there are some VST plugins which fully sounds greater, bigger and more natural than the default Subtractor device lined to the output. ;-)

I tried to improve my music by updating the Combinator patches with some phaser or filter. But it still does sound better in Logic. Now I got an commentary on soundcloud, "could use some better sounds to make it sound not so dry but other then that you got it down dude"...
And I agree. But I have no idea how to proceed.

If you're an creative guy, what can you recommend to me how to proceed to improve so called "sound or instrument quality"?

Regards
Old 2011-08-08, 12:41

Most other popular instrument software uses oversampling which creates a more natural, detailed quality.

Try using more equalizing to remove the Reason mud and then use some stereo reverb combinators on the send buses to get a bigger sound. It's also important to equalize the reverb.
I'm not entirely sure why Reason sound worse than anything else I use, but it does help to use a higher sample rate (and Reason becomes a processing hog) to compensate for the lack of oversampling or anti-aliasing.

A general advice to get Reason sounding better is to cut in the 200-350 hz range and boost around 10 khz +, and also be aware of Reason's panning laws. If you want to widen or pan a sound don't forget to lower the level to balance it. This is different from Live and Logic which seem to do it for you, which makes users encouraged to make wider and "airier" mixes.
Old 2011-08-08, 13:02
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiftof View Post
A general advice to get Reason sounding better is to cut in the 200-350 hz range and boost around 10 khz
So for cutting could be cool SSL EQ LMF & LF? And HF for boosting?
Old 2011-08-08, 13:18

It's obviously wrong to compare a candy preset from a plug-in synthesizer with the raw output of the Subtractor. I was shocked when I turned off all the effects on Predator.

I would say by using Thor and its Chorus and Delay you can get pretty close to a lot of other synths out there. Scream4, delay and reverb are your best friends for making sounds bigger.

Last edited by emotica; 2011-08-08 at 16:16.
Old 2011-08-08, 13:31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotica View Post
It's obviously wrong to compare a candy preset from a plug-in synthesizer with the raw output of the Subtractor. I was shocked when I turned off all the effects on Predator.

I would say by using Thor and it's Chorus and Delay you can get pretty close to a lot of other synths out there. Scream4, delay and reverb are your best friends for making sounds bigger.
Exactly what I'm said:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...16&postcount=2

VST with off effects are bad!
Old 2011-08-08, 15:02

My Monotron sounds like complete CRAP if I listen to the raw oscillator with the filter wide open and the LFO unused (I use it like an envelope). It takes a little filter love and enveloping (via LFO in this case) to make it sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotica View Post

I would say by using Thor and it's Chorus and Delay you can get pretty close to a lot of other synths out there. Scream4, delay and reverb are your best friends for making sounds bigger.
+1. Even the much-vaunted Access Virus can sound like total rectum with it's precious effects engine out of the picture.

Last edited by KryoShift; 2011-08-08 at 15:14.
Old 2011-08-08, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiftof View Post
A general advice to get Reason sounding better is to boost around 10 khz
This is what I always do on the mastersection, so that the complete mix gets a boost around 10.
Old 2011-08-08, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeFeb View Post
Exactly what I'm said: VST with off effects are bad!

Sorry, but then you´ve to say same about Reason-Synth-Units. Or to define what you think is "bad".

I think you´ve not tested / used the right vst/au/MAS-plugs. So you don´t know what you´re talking about ...
* MAC & PC *: Reason / Recycle / Reason Ess. (7.01 / 2 / 2.01), Ableton Live-Suite 8, Harrison Mixbus 2.3.1, Reaper, ReNoise, MuTools, Energy-XT, MOTU BPM (with / and all Plugs from MOTU), MakeMusic Finale 2012, NanoStudio - * PC *: Samplitude Pro (Favo on PC !), Cakewalk: Project 5 / Sonar XPro, FL-Studio (complete with many of those Plugs) - * MAC *: LogicPro 9.18, MOTU DP 7.24 (My Favo on MAC) - * Apple IOS-Musicsoftware *: simply All ...
* VST/AU *: All MOTU-Plugs, all AAS-Plugs, NI FM8 & P5 & B4, Arturia Moog V & MiniMoog & CS80 & Arp 2600, ImpOscar, Korg digital & analog Edition, CMS Hall & Masterplugs, Cakewalk DimensionPro & Rapture, Waldorf Edition, Synapse Dune and more
* REFILLS *: Over 98 GB of "Original"-ReFills (Props / Soundcells / Reasonbanks / SonicR. / Mirosl. / SonicF. / Synth X ... ... Mostly use own programmed Sounds) - * RE´s *: Some ...
* - Propellerhead-User since ReBirth (Steinberg), Reason-/ReCycle-User since V.1 - * / since 1986 Progr. / Develop. / BTest / Brainst

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 2011-08-08, 16:14

One trick is to turn off the effects and instead program Thor's modulation matrix. I have made some factorysounds for vst-synths and the new ones do have some "modulationprogramming" already built in under the hood. That can be one reason they seem to sound warmer.

Try some of the tricks you find at the back of the Thor-rack. Give the oscillators some drift and note-tuning. Continue with the per-note filter values and so on. Now you get a much warmer (vintage) sound.

Best regards,
Kire
Old 2011-08-08, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeFeb View Post
Exactly what I'm said:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...16&postcount=2

VST with off effects are bad!
Yes this is the first thing that came to my mind as well. You might want to try and emulate some of the sound in Logic in Reason. Eq, Layer, Stack, and use effects. Knowing how to eq to stacked sounds will also help you in creating complex, full sounding sounds.