Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2011-08-17, 15:52
mjtibbz

Record should install a virtual audio device to allow audio in from ext apps

Hi all,

why the hell is my account so restricted, I cant even post this in the "suggested features" sub-forum.
Anyway, I am trailling Record 1.5 and it looks I won't be purchasing this.

I know there is no VST support to maintain stability, I get it, but, there should be an alternative method to simply and easily route audio from external apps.

E.G I want the audio from Guitar Rig 4 stand alone, to be passed to an audio track in Record.
If Record installed a virtual audio device, I could make Guitar Rig output the audio to that virtual audio device, then within record, I could simply select that virtual audio device as in input.

I have tried to achieve this with VAC, (virtual audio cable), but Record doesn't recognise the VAC device as having any inputs,

I tried the same with the ReaRoute device installed by the Reaper DAW (which BTW I dont want to go down the route of installing another bloody DAW just to route some audio), and it keeps crashing.

Dont support VSTs, fine, but at least let us pass our Audio into Record/Reason directly from other apps.

BTW, Does anyone have a way to get Guitar Rig output audio to succesffully route to Record?

I've searched and tried all the suggestions but its failing... hard.

Thanks
Old 2011-08-17, 16:01
Propellerhead

If you're on Mac you can use SoundFlower, have you tried that? It's basically a virtual audio cable like you're requesting.

Also - your account is limited because you have no registered products. The Feature Suggestions forum and User forum are for users with registered software only.
Old 2011-08-17, 17:27
mjtibbz

ok thanks for the info.

sorry I'm on Windows 7 x64, Soundcard is M-Audio Audiophile 2496
Old 2011-08-17, 17:38
Propellerhead

VAC should work, but you must use ASIO4ALL to "adapt it" to ASIO.
VAC has only WDM drivers, not ASIO, and Reason / Record on Windows can only see inputs in ASIO drivers.

Also, there is JACK (jackaudio.org) for Windows, which is perhaps more difficult to use, but has ASIO support. It currently only works with 32-bit versions of ASIO apps but the webpage says the 64-bit update is coming.

Your OS and audio card are fine for this.
Old 2011-08-17, 21:03
mjtibbz

thanks jengstrom,

I checked out JACK in a VM but it looked ridiculously complicated.
I will check out using VAC with ASIO4ALL and ill post back if I get it working.

Cheers
Old 2011-08-18, 03:55

Jack is very easy and works well for routing anything into record. I am using Guitar Rig and Ampllitube with low latency and very clean sound. I have also tried Logic and Kore2...although generally find it easier to just record in another app and bounce the audio.

For Jack.
Start Jack Pilot, set it as the audio device in record and in Guitar rig.
click on Jack routing, expand Guitar Rig drop down and set output 1 then select drop down from Record and set to input 3.
Repeat for GR output 2 and set to record input 4
In Record create an audio track, set it to stereo, select inputs 3 & 4
Enable monitoring
you should know hear you guitar through GR in record.
Old 2011-08-18, 10:27

I have a 2496 running W7 654 bit and M-Audios drivers.
I can record whatever I want in Record when I choose M-Audio Delta Monitor as my input to Record. No need for all the other stuff. It works right out of the box so to speak.
http://www.myspace.com/thethinkingmachine
More Thinkingmachine: http://soundcloud.com/thinkingmachine
Old 2011-08-18, 10:35

Quote:
I tried the same with the ReaRoute device installed by the Reaper DAW (which BTW I dont want to go down the route of installing another bloody DAW just to route some audio), and it keeps crashing.
ReaRoute with Reaper is worked fine for me.
But audio-ins ReWire support must be perfect option.
Old 2011-08-18, 12:37
mjtibbz

thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

I'm really busy just now but when I get some time, with the different methods kindly suggested I should be able to get it working.
I must admit I've been doing this testing on my laptop and a throw away VM because I don't like installing loads of stuff on my main rig when I'm testing.

I will try and get the VAC or JACK methods to work on my laptop first as proof of concept then when I finally install Record on my main Rig, I will first try the Delta Monitor input as suggested, and if that fails I will use either VAC or JACK if I get them working.

Cheers again m8s
Old 2011-08-18, 15:12

EDIT... didnĀ“t read....
http://www.myspace.com/thethinkingmachine
More Thinkingmachine: http://soundcloud.com/thinkingmachine