Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2011-08-23, 05:41

Reason Drum Kit vs Superior Drummer vs Addictive Drums or...

I am looking to buy one of the above.
I would be using the kits for pop, rock, hard rock, prog and a little bit of metal.
Are any of the VST kits better than RDK? If so, how?

I'm not exactly sure what is in Reason Drum Kits. How many kits are in there? There is a video on the refill page, but it's not spelled out exactly like in, for instance, Reason Bass Refill info page --which says what the basses are and gives audio examples of each.

Also, everyone talks about RDK 2. Was there a v1 of RDK?
Which one is in the Rhythm Combo?

VST drums. What I like about that setup, is dragging a midi file onto my track in Reaper. In Record, I can't drag and drop files onto my drum track, but each time i import a file, it sets up an ID8 which I then have to delete- a bit of a pita.

How are the midi files in RDK compared to EZ, Superior, Addictive etc..? Are there a lot? Are they better or comparable in quality? How are they mapped?

Since RDK kits appear to be in the combinators in the video, there is just stereo out? Or are there NN-XTs to have multi channel outs?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by stratatonic; 2011-08-23 at 06:19.
Old 2011-08-23, 15:39

In the few tracks where I have lots of percs, I've layered my drums. If you listen to

http://soundcloud.com/archimedes/groovre-le-louvre

You'll hear a lot of percs done in Dr. Octo Rex. I own the Props Drums and they're okay as well. They're all good, and with a little compression, some verb for some of them, etc., you can really bring out the quality of the sounds.

But you'll also hear a hard driving main kit, and that is provided by Toontracks EZ Drummer with the odd-meter MIDI packs. The sampling is superior to anything else I've heard - including Addictive Drums (which I own), and a whole lot of other stuff.

There is a real downside, though, to EZD - and that's the manner in which it loads itself into the DAW. On my rig, it loads about 509 MB of sample data, it fails to retain my presets, and getting it setup and started can be a bit time consuming and frustrating. But the quality of the sound is outstanding - so I suffer through these weaknesses.

http://soundcloud.com/Archimedes
Old 2011-08-23, 16:26

I've tested almost all Drum VSTi's out there back when I was on the market and also heard and played with the RDK a bit. In the end me and my band choose Addictive Drums.

To sum it up why:
  • Loads faster
  • Lighter
  • Better sounding IMHO
  • On-board usable fx (compression, verb, distortion etc.)
  • Affordable

You can buy additional kit pieces, like a Ludwig snare for $10.. that's kinda cool. I begun to sample AD to Kong by the way

The RDK is a drag to set up in my opinion and doesn't sound half as good as AD.

Last edited by Spectrephonic; 2011-08-23 at 16:31.
Old 2011-08-23, 17:03

I use Superior Drummer (2), EzDrummer (standard and Claustrophobic kits but I have not used the Claustrophobic one yet!) and RDK2.
The reason I have SD2 and EZD is that I got frustrated with RDK2 (sounds like an episode of Star Wars).

I believe James Bernard created a method of loading a RDK2 into Record that split the outputs to various channels, but as a standalone item RDK2 is a combinator with a 14:2 mixer with the usual suspects routed to their own channels. There's a bunch of eqs and a compressor in the standard set ups but the "Producer kits" add some more devices. I've had my fun with RDK2 but in the end if you aren't some dick who thinks that everything can be/has to be/is done inside of R+R then there is better stuff out there.

By the way, the midi with RDK2 is limited (to say the least) but the stuff with SD2 and EZD is much better. And there are packs of additional midi. And there's a converter with SD2 that changes the patterns to suit other fake drum programs. Unfortunately I can't figure it out!

By the way (part 2), Pete Watson has a bunch of drum stuff but he seems to use a modified version of RDK2's "Rock Ballad" for most of his tracks, and they sound pretty good.
Life is what you make of it I suppose.

Grum.
Old 2011-08-23, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstuart View Post
In the few tracks where I have lots of percs, I've layered my drums. If you listen to

http://soundcloud.com/archimedes/groovre-le-louvre

You'll hear a lot of percs done in Dr. Octo Rex. I own the Props Drums and they're okay as well. They're all good, and with a little compression, some verb for some of them, etc., you can really bring out the quality of the sounds.
I;ll be sure to check out your link. Right now, Soundcloud seems to be down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstuart View Post
The sampling is superior to anything else I've heard - including Addictive Drums (which I own), and a whole lot of other stuff.

There is a real downside, though, to EZD - and that's the manner in which it loads itself into the DAW. On my rig, it loads about 509 MB of sample data, it fails to retain my presets, and getting it setup and started can be a bit time consuming and frustrating. But the quality of the sound is outstanding - so I suffer through these weaknesses.
I've tried EZ lite so far. There is just the one kit in it. It looks like there are more options, but greyed out. These would be available in EZ Drummer?
Old 2011-08-23, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrephonic View Post
In the end me and my band choose Addictive Drums.

To sum it up why:
  • Loads faster
  • Lighter
  • Better sounding IMHO
  • On-board usable fx (compression, verb, distortion etc.)
  • Affordable
  • These onboard FX are better than Scream, rv7000, and what's in Kong?

Quote:
You can buy additional kit pieces, like a Ludwig snare for $10.. that's kinda cool.
You can buy the samples for 10$? you mean multi velocity and the overheads and room mics? How do you load that up?

Quote:
I begun to sample AD to Kong by the way
I'd love to hear a sample from Kong and it's effects.

Last edited by stratatonic; 2011-08-23 at 17:57.
Old 2011-08-23, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
... I believe James Bernard created a method of loading a RDK2 into Record that split the outputs to various channels... Pete Watson has a bunch of drum stuff...
Thanks to selfdude, JB's Week 13: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=132632 . Overall it's an interesting video on RDK2.

I was going to post earlier that three experts on your question post their work in the Music Forum and those fine fellow members are Grumbleweed. petegwatson/Pete/Peachy and Ixus. I figured they would be coming by. Ixus may be tuning his 7-string Ibanez at the moment, but I wager he'll cruise on by.
Old 2011-08-23, 18:19

Quote:
I believe James Bernard created a method of loading a RDK2 into Record that split the outputs to various channels, but as a standalone item RDK2 is a combinator with a 14:2 mixer with the usual suspects routed to their own channels. There's a bunch of eqs and a compressor in the standard set ups but the "Producer kits" add some more devices.
The "Producer" kits are the same sampled kits in RDK2, but with added effects to make them sound different?

Quote:
By the way, the midi with RDK2 is limited (to say the least) but the stuff with SD2 and EZD is much better. And there are packs of additional midi. And there's a converter with SD2 that changes the patterns to suit other fake drum programs. Unfortunately I can't figure it out!
Yeah I guess all the companies would have their proprietary mappings so you can't interchange them. Somewhere in my internet travels, I picked up a boatload of EZ files, but they are for EZ only -- well,maybe they are for something different altogether.(!) They seemed to somewhat work in the freebie GSCW drumkit, but didn't seem as expressive as they were missing the subtle things from the weird mappings.

Quote:
By the way (part 2), Pete Watson has a bunch of drum stuff but he seems to use a modified version of RDK2's "Rock Ballad" for most of his tracks, and they sound pretty good.
Life is what you make of it I suppose.
Yeah, Pete always manages to get things to sound good...
Old 2011-08-23, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktw View Post
Thanks to selfdude, JB's Week 13: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=132632 . Overall it's an interesting video on RDK2.
I'll check that out. Thanks.
Old 2011-08-23, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratatonic View Post
The "Producer" kits are the same sampled kits in RDK2, but with added effects to make them sound different?
You got it.

I had a little think and have to say that bundled midi is fine and dandy but it is best to make the drums go with the track. I suppose having something decent (pattern-wise) to get you started doesn't hurt though.

Grum.