Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2011-09-20, 23:49

difference between Reason and Reason essentials?

On Propellerhead's website, it lists the new versions of Reason that will be available on 9/30. They list Reason 6, and then also Reason Essentials. What is the difference between Reason 6 and Reason Essentials? I'm assuming the latter is a watered-down version of the full Reason 6, but what exactly is missing from the Essentials version?
Old 2011-09-20, 23:53

http://www.propellerheads.se/product...mparison-chart
Old 2011-09-20, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason2dance View Post
Thanks for the link. I took one look, saw that Essentials doesn't include Thor and forgot it altogether. Full Reason is the way to go.
Old 2011-12-22, 20:32

ummmmmm, pretty much all the NEW stuff that reason 6.0 boasts about!!! I'm really upset right now. I just got this home and after reading up, and of course not finding that answer on here, numerous people told me that reason essentials has EVERYTHING. Reason Essentials is (reason 6, recycle, record, etc) and I got it with the new balance hardware. This is my FIRST endeavor into recording/producing. I thought I couldn't have picked a better time to get in this game with this new all in one package in essentials. I was so sold on the alligator, pulveriser, etc. Essentials has none of that. I feel like I got dooped by both the manufacturer and the supposedly knowledgeable sales people. I will be writing into reason to voice this complaint formally as well but to answer your question, it's missing the stuff they brag that reason 6 now has.
Old 2011-12-22, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilemmanade View Post
numerous people told me that reason essentials has EVERYTHING. Reason Essentials is (reason 6, recycle, record, etc) and I got it with the new balance hardware. I feel like I got dooped by both the manufacturer and the supposedly knowledgeable sales people. I will be writing into reason to voice this complaint
I don't see any way in which you got 'dooped' by the manufacturer.

I can see how you got dooped by anyone who told you essentials as 'everything' - so your complaint letter would best be directed at management and ownership of the business(es) where these sales people work.

Props have had the products advertised and described on this site since July. And if you look on the Essentials page, it refers to "its big brother reason6" and 'if you need more, upgrade to full reason'. not to mention the comparison chart.

FYI, the full version of reason6 does not include recycle. recycle is a separate product.

Also, FYI, Balance is a $500 audio interface and Reason Essentials is thrown in for free. so you didn't really get dooped by propellerheads, they provided a $500 interface for $500 and threw in some free software. (Essentials is $299 on it's own - so that's $300 in free software).

Also, FYI, you can upgrade to full reason6 for $169.

sorry the salesmen, and whomever else, mislead you - but don't blame props.

I don't really think you are in as bad of a position as you think. I know that might not help much, or matter - you had expectations that weren't met. but...

Reason6 (full version) is $449 and then you'd need an audio interface, which would be maybe $150 at best. that takes you to $600.

Balance is way better than what you'd get for $150, and if you get the $169 upgrade to full Reason, that would put your total at $668 (less whatever discount you might have gotten on Balance+Essentials (I've see it for $449).

That $668 gives you a way better setup than if you have purchase Reason6 full version and then added an economical audio interface.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2011-12-22 at 20:53.
Old 2011-12-22, 21:14

Did you buy from Guitar Center by any chance?
Old 2011-12-22, 21:22

i think reason / reason essentials is another bad choice like record was.
I say it should have been done like this. 2 progams.

1.balance software/ with optional balance hardware:
basically how reason6 is now with the balance hardware and dongel for on the go sessions
get rid of essentials.

2.reason:
reason as it was with version 5 and add all the pulverizer/alligator/neptune/line6

i love the props but it seems like there at conflict on how to proceed with new products
or maybe i am. whatever.

but thats just my strange ideas.

Last edited by tunnelsurf; 2011-12-22 at 21:26.
Old 2011-12-22, 21:23

Quote:
numerous people told me that reason essentials has EVERYTHING.
It's never fun to learn a lesson the hard way, but there it is. Not everyone knows what they're talking about, and it's your responsibility to verify whether something someone says is actually true.

And really, as mentioned, you're in a good position. You've got a great audio interface and an upgrade to Reason 6 costs only $169. For everything you can do with Reason, that's a bargain.
Old 2011-12-22, 21:36

Quote:
ummmmmm, pretty much all the NEW stuff that reason 6.0 boasts about!!! I'm really upset right now. I just got this home and after reading up, and of course not finding that answer on here, numerous people told me that reason essentials has EVERYTHING. Reason Essentials is (reason 6, recycle, record, etc) and I got it with the new balance hardware. This is my FIRST endeavor into recording/producing. I thought I couldn't have picked a better time to get in this game with this new all in one package in essentials. I was so sold on the alligator, pulveriser, etc. Essentials has none of that. I feel like I got dooped by both the manufacturer and the supposedly knowledgeable sales people. I will be writing into reason to voice this complaint formally as well but to answer your question, it's missing the stuff they brag that reason 6 now has.
I would be upset as well, but I would upgrade, its worth it - believe me..

But until then, enjoy the devices you do have as there is more than enough to make great music.
Old 2012-01-30, 20:18

Oh, so Im buyin a reason 4.75 and getting the balance....hmmmm