Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2011-10-01, 17:44

Lightbulb Using Reason 6 with ReWire (32bit) on a Windows 64-bit operating system

Using Reason with ReWire on a 64-bit operating system

"If you are running a 64-bit OS, Reason will automatically install and run in 64-bit mode. However, if you are using
ReWire, there are a couple of extra considerations:
* Both the ReWire host and Reason must run in the same mode (32-bit or 64-bit).
* To use ReWire in 64-bit mode, the ReWire host application must have support for 64-bit ReWire. If not, you
need to run both programs in 32-bit mode.

Here's how you run Reason in 32-bit mode under Mac and Windows, respectively:

Mac
1. Make sure Reason isn't running.
2. Select the Reason application in the Finder and choose "Get Info" from the File menu.
3. Turn on the option "Open in 32-bit Mode".
The next time you launch Reason it will run in 32-bit mode.

Windows
Under Windows, you need to install a separate 32-bit version of Reason:

1. Open the Reason DVD (or the Reason download package, if you have downloaded the program from the web)
in the Windows Explorer.

2. Right-click the "Install Reason.exe" file and select "Create Shortcut".
If the file is on the DVD, you will be asked if you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop - click Yes.

3. Locate the shortcut you just created, right-click it and select "Properties".

4. On the "Shortcut" page of the Properties dialog, locate the Target field and add " /32" (without the quotes) at
the very end. The Target field should say
"D:\Install Reason.exe" /32
(although the drive letter may not be "D", depending on your setup).

5. Click OK.

6. Double click the shortcut file to install a 32-bit version of Reason.
The installed Reason version will have the name "Reason (32)" on the Start menu and desktop. You can have the
regular 64-bit version installed at the same time if you like. "

-Quoted from the Read Me.pdf included in the Reason 6 download package.

Hope this is helpfull for all you lazy arses out there!
-It also seems running Reason 6 in 32bit mode is WAY less taxing on your puter.

This did the trick for my ReWire-host of pure awesomeness, the tracker "Renoise"!!
Renoise is awesome for programming beats on the Kong in Reason, and automating EVERYTHING in Reason 6 (with a controll which is in a league of it's own!).

-going off-topic here.....
The Tracker can seem a bit 'greek' for people who's never seen a tracker before, but I grew up with it from my Amiga 500& CDTV (running SoundTracker, ProTracker and StarTrekker - those only had 4 channels), then my Atari Falcon 030(running DigitalTracker) and finally FastrackerII on my first PC. Then I also started experimenting with Cubase VST and hardware synths in conjuction with loops/beats I'd made in FastTracker, wich was great fun.
Then ReBirth and Reason came along and changed the whole game... I bought rsn1.0 and every upgrade since - even Record, and I adore Propellerheads!
There has allways been major stuff I've been missing from the workflow of the Tracker tho, so thankfully I rediscovered the Tracker through the Renoise demo. The tracker has come a looong way since the days of FastTrackerII, and Renoise is one hell of a powerfull software! Download the demo and try it out for 30 days, fully functional, uninstall, reinstall... Rince and Repeat until you're convinced to shell out the 50 dollars or so the software costs (only one developer!).

I'm truly sorry if I've stepped on Propellerheads toes here by bragging about Renoise, but I deeply feel "Reason & Renoise is a match made in Heaven"!

try it here
http://www.renoise.com/