Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2011-11-24, 19:08

Question Problems recording guitar through Balance

Hi.
I am new to recording and, after much deliberation, decided that Balance + Reason would fit my needs.
Balance with R/E was delivered (the Reason Upgrade is still in the post). Installed it on my existing set up, registered and authorised the software - all went well.

After a reboot, I plugged in Balance, waited for the drivers to install, and opened RE with great anticipation. I set up a new audio track, selected which input I was going to use, plugged in a guitar, selected the guitar input - all good so far.

As soon as I started to play, I had a problem. It sounds as though the guitar keeps cutting out whilst playing. I tried various settings - nothing worked.I have tried disabling various hardware, updating and uninstalling drivers, and I could not cure this.

I have rebuilt the PC using both W7 and XP, and tried the drivers/hardware changes as mentioned above - I just can not get balance to record a guitar without getting dropouts/cutouts.

The best description I can give is that it sounds like a loose connection on the guitar cable - cutting out and back in again as you move the cable.

Now I have tried 4 different cables, two different guitars and four different bass guitars. I have re-installed windows 6 times using 2 different versions of windows and installed RE multiple times. I noticed that If I turn things up, so that there is an audible hum, you can hear the hum cutting out, without even touching the guitar.

I also found that when I installed XP, the Line 6 support files failed to load.

I just hope that this is not a hardware related issue, as I have no money left to by anything else to run this on.

I have now spent well over 10 hours trying all these different things.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this may be.

Forgot to add: I have tried different USB ports, and an Externally powered USB port.
System specs are: AMD Phenom quad core 9550. 4 GB Ram. Gigabyte MB with on board HDMI graphics. WIndows 32 bit.

Last edited by Arsenic; 2011-11-24 at 19:35. Reason: additional info
Old 2011-11-24, 19:15

I see from your Profile that you joined yesterday and this is your first post, and welcome to the forums, I haven’t seen a thread yet about the problem you describe, but there are several Balance owner/user experts here that may help out. Some were involved in the Balance beta testing and actually took it apart, literally and figuratively.

I’m posting just to say hang loose and someone will post. It may be an hour or a day, but some fine fellow member will help you out.

Edit: BTW, I see you have the new Reason Essentials (ReE) icon but no Reason icon. Have you downloaded your free R6? Since you're recording audio, you should jump right into R6. ReE is beautiful, but R6 gives you so much more, especially for audio recording - and for free.

Edit again: Darn it, I just noticed in Post #1 that you say the R6 upgrade is in the mail. I thought that with Balance, which serves as an Ignition Key, that you wouldn't need the hard box R6 with an Ignition Key and that your R6 license number would be added to your account when you registered ReE.

Last edited by clarktw; 2011-11-24 at 19:28.
Old 2011-11-24, 19:41

Thanks for the welcome.
I was under the impression that I needed to buy the upgrade - that R6 was only a free upgrade if you already had a prrevious copy of Reason and bought Balance.....basically I took the advice from this thread:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...47404#poststop
Old 2011-11-24, 20:01

You are absolutely right and my apologies; I didn’t think about having to be a previous R1-R5 or Record owner for the freebie. The $169 is well worth it. Keep in mind that you can transfer the nice red Ignition Key along with ReE if you sell it or give it away; that is if you are desktop and Balance is all you need. That puts you in a good position to sell the ReE ($299 by itself) with Ignition Key ($40 by itself) for $200 or more easily.

Last edited by clarktw; 2011-11-24 at 20:04.
Old 2011-11-25, 09:58
Propellerhead

Hi!

I've created a support case and sent you an email regarding this. We'll do our best to help you with your setup.

Thanks!
/ Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
Hi.
I am new to recording and, after much deliberation, decided that Balance + Reason would fit my needs.
Balance with R/E was delivered (the Reason Upgrade is still in the post). Installed it on my existing set up, registered and authorised the software - all went well.

After a reboot, I plugged in Balance, waited for the drivers to install, and opened RE with great anticipation. I set up a new audio track, selected which input I was going to use, plugged in a guitar, selected the guitar input - all good so far.

As soon as I started to play, I had a problem. It sounds as though the guitar keeps cutting out whilst playing. I tried various settings - nothing worked.I have tried disabling various hardware, updating and uninstalling drivers, and I could not cure this.

I have rebuilt the PC using both W7 and XP, and tried the drivers/hardware changes as mentioned above - I just can not get balance to record a guitar without getting dropouts/cutouts.

The best description I can give is that it sounds like a loose connection on the guitar cable - cutting out and back in again as you move the cable.

Now I have tried 4 different cables, two different guitars and four different bass guitars. I have re-installed windows 6 times using 2 different versions of windows and installed RE multiple times. I noticed that If I turn things up, so that there is an audible hum, you can hear the hum cutting out, without even touching the guitar.

I also found that when I installed XP, the Line 6 support files failed to load.

I just hope that this is not a hardware related issue, as I have no money left to by anything else to run this on.

I have now spent well over 10 hours trying all these different things.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this may be.

Forgot to add: I have tried different USB ports, and an Externally powered USB port.
System specs are: AMD Phenom quad core 9550. 4 GB Ram. Gigabyte MB with on board HDMI graphics. WIndows 32 bit.
Old 2011-11-25, 10:29

Quote:
Have you tried all inputs, even the line in?
Is the cutting off the same, no matter what input?
Old 2011-11-25, 15:56

Quote:
I hope you're already getting the deserved help, but just for the sake of it, here's some tips that may or may not be related and may at least mitigate the issue:

1) avoid using USB hubs between your computer and a USB audio interface like Balance.

2) don't connect Balance to USB3 and avoid USB1.x ports. Use USB2 ports whenever possible.

3) once connected and setup up, if you're getting dropouts, try to decrease the sample rate and/or increase the buffer size. You'll be trading (increasing) latency for better (more stable) audio.

This last step shouldn't be needed on a well configured, modern Windows XP or Windows 7 computer when using Balance so... there must be something going on either with the motherboard USB drivers, any weird extra processes installed by 3rd party applications (but you said you tried fresh installs of W7 and XP so...) or it's a (PC) hardware issue.

I wish you all the luck on this and hope Props Support is able to pinpoint the problem so you can enjoy 100% of your Balance + ReE

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2011-11-25 at 15:58.
Old 2011-11-25, 16:07

There will be a conflict with your system, Hope for you it is just a case of disabling onboard LAN or other.

Good luck.
Old 2011-11-25, 17:39
DJDoctor

Im bettin' Frankies right on this one. Ive heard of the problem with the onboard LAN.

However, if its not that, Im betting its the OP's buffer settings since he's totally new to the game and just hasnt dealt with latency yet. He'll get there. We've all had to jump through that flaming hoop before, he will to.

Reinstalling your OS 6 times is...wow. Crazy actually.
Old 2011-11-25, 18:07

OK.
First of all I'd like to thank everybody so far for their input. You all gave me things to think about while I was experiencing the delights of my day job.

I have just had a response from Marcus at Props - He has confirmed that it is down to an incompatibility between Balance and the USB Chipset on the mainboard. Apparently I am the third person with this board to have the same/similar problems - at least the work around is cheap. He has suggested a PCI/PCI-E USB card.

I know Balance isn't the problem, I put ReE on my aging laptop, (Dual core Centrino), and set the smallest buffer/highest sample rate - and it worked flawlessly. Great for one track - not sure how it would cope with multiple tracks though.

Anyway - I am going to put W7 back on the workstation, and now that the R6 upgrade has arrived, I will be enjoy most of the benefits of R6, and will sort out an USB card as soon as possible - Untill then I suppose I can Always record the guitar/bass parts on the laptop first and the move to the main PC for the rest.

Once agin, Thanks to everyone for their input - I'll let you know how things go.

Last edited by Arsenic; 2011-11-25 at 18:10. Reason: spelling