Propellerhead Software
Old 2011-11-28, 08:47

Faders in mixing

So, how much do you use the faders in your post mixing process? I find that being at the bottom of the mix process they have always gotten the least amount of my attention, because I can get the mix I want for the most part with gain, compression, frequency filters and effects. I feel like maybe less is more for faders, but I was wondering how drastically you push them and how their role in the mix differs from gain. I understand that gain is pre filtering and the faders are post filtering but what I am trying to figure out is the balance between the two.
Old 2011-11-28, 09:36

As far as i understand, gain will influence the input to the insert effects. So before i'm happy with the sounds themselves i don't touch the faders. When the sounds are OK and sit well in the mix i don't touch the gain knob anymore. Then i use the faders to fine tune the mix and bring in some movement where apropriate. Mostly with automation.
Old 2011-11-28, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovkov View Post
As far as i understand, gain will influence the input to the insert effects. So before i'm happy with the sounds themselves i don't touch the faders. When the sounds are OK and sit well in the mix i don't touch the gain knob anymore. Then i use the faders to fine tune the mix and bring in some movement where apropriate. Mostly with automation.
Yeah I had an inklin faders were used mainly for automation purposes, and perhaps mastering purposes as well, but I have never gotten far enough on a song to fine tune it to that level
Old 2011-11-28, 10:24

I only use the faders to decrease the volume only in case of clipping or bad mix balance. So basically when i want to increase the volume of a weak sound i use gain (of course i can use a compressor gain also but sometimes the sound doesnt need compressing) and when some sounds hit the red zone after processing i use the faders to decrease the volume and avoid clipping and adjust the general balance of the mix.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2011-11-28, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIDBACK View Post
I only use the faders to decrease the volume only in case of clipping or bad mix balance. So basically when i want to increase the volume of a weak sound i use gain (of course i can use a compressor gain also but sometimes the sound doesnt need compressing) and when some sounds hit the red zone after processing i use the faders to decrease the volume and avoid clipping and adjust the general balance of the mix.
Interesting.. do you think it's better to use freq filters to get rid of mud or are there situations where the fader excels?
Old 2011-11-28, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by digteamone View Post
Interesting.. do you think it's better to use freq filters to get rid of mud or are there situations where the fader excels?
As i understand it , the mud u are talking about sounds like you need some eq'ing, so yes the hpf & lpf on the ssl channel strip can help with that along with eq, which depending on what you do though the eq & filters a fader adjustment might be reqired after that

Martin
http://soundcloud.com/itchy-brother-music
Melbourne Australia
Old 2011-11-28, 12:18

I always use the freq filters for that, im a big Eq fanatic and never thought that to remove a bit of mud here and there the use of faders was the best. To me working on the equing settings on the sll mixer settings of every single tracks is the best. I particulary pay a lots of attention for the bass frequencies from 60 to 120 hz but also at 350 hz

Loading SoundCloud…

Last edited by LAIDBACK; 2011-11-28 at 12:20.
Old 2011-11-28, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIDBACK View Post
I always use the freq filters for that, im a big Eq fanatic and never thought that to remove a bit of mud here and there the use of faders was the best. To me working on the equing settings on the sll mixer settings of every single tracks is the best. I particulary pay a lots of attention for the bass frequencies from 60 to 120 hz but also at 350 hz
Right, thanks!
Old 2011-11-29, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by digteamone View Post
So, how much do you use the faders in your post mixing process? I find that being at the bottom of the mix process they have always gotten the least amount of my attention, because I can get the mix I want for the most part with gain, compression, frequency filters and effects. I feel like maybe less is more for faders, but I was wondering how drastically you push them and how their role in the mix differs from gain. I understand that gain is pre filtering and the faders are post filtering but what I am trying to figure out is the balance between the two.
i have no idea about this?? can anyone suggest me more information??
Old 2011-11-29, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviAuto View Post
i have no idea about this?? can anyone suggest me more information??
What do you mean?