Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2011-11-29, 03:56

Need advice to make final purchase decision

I need some advice from experienced Reason users in order to decide whether to purchase Reason 6 or not. The guy at my local music store is strongly recommending Komplete 8, but the more research I do the more I think that Reason would be better for what I want to do. I just need to make sure before I make my final decision. There's a lot of excellent information about Reason 6 on this forum and on the web, but it seems very difficult to find specific examples of how to use Reason 6 as a keyboard player on stage, with an actual band rather than a DJ.

Of course, there's the "Reason On Stage" video, which looks very cool but does not provide much information about how these famous artists use Reason as part of their live performances. I've seen a couple of articles/videos about Combinator, but they never provide detailed information for things like how to easily load Combinator presets for each song, ideally by just hitting a button on the keyboard. Maybe it's just that I have not used it yet?

I used to play keyboards in a band during the 80's. Amongst other things, I was using a Roland S-50 sampler back then, and I remember having to rush at the end of every couple of songs to load the next batch of sounds from floppy while the singer did his best to keep the crowd distracted. I definitely do not want to go through the 2011 version of the same thing on a laptop and mess around with the trackpad to find and load the next Combinator file, or struggle just to load a basic piano or organ sound for that "unexpected special request".

So any advice, tips, or links to helpful articles or videos would be much appreciated.

Also, any recommendations for a good 61 key controller (I am thinking maybe the Novation Impulse 61?) and recording interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?) would be very helpful. Again, local music store staff seem more interested in selling me whatever they happen to have in stock rather than actually providing helpful advice, so I am hoping to get better information from a forum of people who actually use Reason to make music.

Cheers,
Eric
Old 2011-11-29, 04:01

Well, both are amazing products, but for live use its reason all the way. The damn thing is all but uncrashable, and you can load all your sounds up before the set starts so you dont have to ever load anything.

Check out the Chris Vrenna video on this. He used Reason for the Marilyn Manson tour.

http://www.propellerheads.se/substan...e=chris-vrenna
Old 2011-11-29, 04:35

Wow, instant reply and exactly what I needed. I must have watched dozens of James Bernard videos but I had not seen that one yet. It never occurred to me that you could just open multiple files and just switch from one to another without having to load anything.

Thanks!
Old 2011-11-29, 04:42

The dude at your music store is right that Komplete 8 is an awesome suite of products, but he's an idiot if he thinks they are comparable to Reason. Komplete is a bunch of instruments, the one thing it is missing is that IT IS NOT A DAW (or sequencer, since props seem to keep insinuating that they don't consider Reason a DAW or something). They are two completely different things. If you bought Komplete, you would also need a vst hosting DAW (Logic, Ableton, Cubase, etc...) in order to use those products. I don't know what crack dude is smoking, but you might want to point out the difference to him when you make whatever purchase you decide on in the end.

Last edited by penguinoid; 2011-11-29 at 05:23.
Old 2011-11-29, 05:08

Well, it's not particularly difficult to understand why a music store would prefer to see me purchase TWO expensive products instead of one. It just goes to show that you really have to do your homework before making that final purchase decision.

But thanks for the advice, both posts reinforce my initial impression that Reason is the product that I need and is backed by a really cool user community of musicians.

Now if only someone could tell me about audio interfaces... Balance looks interesting?
Old 2011-11-29, 05:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlemay View Post
Now if only someone could tell me about audio interfaces... Balance looks interesting?
There are some threads on Balance, including a decent review. if i find it i'll edit this and post the link.

but wanted to say, if you buy balance, it comes with reason essentials which entitles you to purchase the $169 upgrade to full reason. so don't by full reason then balance, buy balance/essentials and get the upgrade. (unless you can find a better net cost buying reason6 first then selling the essentials license you get with balance)

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2011-11-29, 05:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlemay View Post
Also, any recommendations for a good 61 key controller
In addition to the Impulse, checkout the Novation SL MKii and m-audio Axiom Pro 61. they're laid out a little different, have different keys... but they both have good integration with reason6.

I have and like the Axiom Pro (not be be confused with the plain (non-pro) axiom) and like it. you'll also see the axiom in a lot of JB's tutorial videos.

m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2011-11-29 at 05:43.
Old 2011-11-29, 12:02

You can create a folder full of combinator patches and assign the up/down arrows to any midi controller note or button. However, it won't work if you switch to a different patch type (say from a combinator to a thor that isn't inside a combinator)
because the mapping is lost.

Like it says in the video, you can create key maps in the combinator so that only certain ranges of keys trigger certain instruments. There is also a +-24 semitone transpose for each instrument which comes in handy.

Don't get me wrong, plugin instruments like the ones in Komplete are good in themselves but they are a closed box, you can't connect them together in the way you can in reason with patch cables without learning a complex language like max4live.
Old 2011-11-29, 12:36

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinoid View Post
The dude at your music store is right that Komplete 8 is an awesome suite of products, but he's an idiot if he thinks they are comparable to Reason. Komplete is a bunch of instruments, the one thing it is missing is that IT IS NOT A DAW (or sequencer, since props seem to keep insinuating that they don't consider Reason a DAW or something). They are two completely different things. If you bought Komplete, you would also need a vst hosting DAW (Logic, Ableton, Cubase, etc...) in order to use those products. I don't know what crack dude is smoking, but you might want to point out the difference to him when you make whatever purchase you decide on in the end.
I CONCUR 100%!!!^5
Komplete is not Reason at all. I'd rather have Reason, and the billion of refills that sound just as goood as hardware at my side then Komplete. I want nothing to do with N.I., when you have Reason it's a beast of a program. Komplete is nothing but instruments, look at what Reason has, you don't need another Daw to run Reason because Reason is it's own DAW.
Old 2011-12-04, 02:30

Here's a post from another thread, on a completely different topic... but here is another way to setup a variety of devices and use your controller to switch through them during a set. Note too that this is a way you can have your keyboard trigger up to 4 devices at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditEd4TV View Post
Go to Prefs / Advanced, and under External Control set Bus A for your keyboard, and set Bus B for this same keyboard. Now back in the rack at the top of the first rack, find the Hardware Interface and click on the Advanced MIDI button. The Bus Select A button should be active, so now play your keyboard and see what MIDI channel is active - most likely it's MIDI channel 1. In the drop down menu for MIDI channel 1, select your first Combinator. You should now be controlling that first Combinator via Bus A from your MIDI keyboard. Now activate the Bus Select B button and for this same MIDI channel (again, probably MIDI channel 1), select your second Combinator. You should now be controlling that second Combinator via Bus B from your MIDI keyboard, as well as the first Combinator via Bus A.

You can layer up to 4 Combinators in this manner, one each for Bus A, B, C, and D.

If you can access what MIDI channel your keyboard sends on, you can switch to say MIDI channel 2 and select 1 to 4 new Combinators to control. This will allow you to do things like play a piano + synth pad + bell via MIDI channel 1, then switch to MIDI channel 2 and now you've switched over to rhodes + organ, then switch to MIDI channel 3 where you'll be playing a 4 layer string patch (made up of 4 different Combinators), etc. So, you can have up to 64 devices (doesn't have to be Combinators) in your rack and play 4 at a time from 16 different MIDI channels. There is also a way to add a 5th layer via control of a sequencer track, but that gets a bit confusing for most people, but that is an option.

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2011-12-04 at 02:44.