Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2011-12-11, 16:12

first real attempt at proper dance music, what do you think?

Its mostly electro/progressive house with some tribal beats and stuff. Feedback please

Loading SoundCloud…

Check out my debut E.P sustainable destruction on bandcamp.

http://omicron.bandcamp.com/
Old 2011-12-16, 11:11

feedback wanted guys, on soudcloud or the forum. If you listen to it, then whether you love it or hate it, put some constructive criticism on. It is all good!

Old 2011-12-16, 11:33

The first 30 seconds is dope. Strong beat. Did you program these drums? But...your synths sound a little hectic.
Old 2011-12-16, 14:25

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpeipert View Post
The first 30 seconds is dope. Strong beat. Did you program these drums? But...your synths sound a little hectic.
I concur.

Opening beats are good, really good, but then it falls flat on it's face once the synths come in I'm afraid.

I would reconsider the patches/sounds you're using, punchier bass and a lighter lead to start with. Then consider adding a kick sidechain to the bass to clear the way for the rhythm to move forward.
'Going to trial with a lawyer who considers your whole life-style a crime in progress is not a happy prospect.' - Hunter S Thompson
~|~
'Live fat, die young, and leave a self-basting corpse for the burn up...' - TFC
Old 2011-12-16, 17:29

i like the synths they just need to be eq'd completely differently than they are now.
Old 2011-12-16, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatControlleR View Post
I concur.

Opening beats are good, really good, but then it falls flat on it's face once the synths come in I'm afraid.

I would reconsider the patches/sounds you're using, punchier bass and a lighter lead to start with. Then consider adding a kick sidechain to the bass to clear the way for the rhythm to move forward.
My advice: keep it simple.
Old 2011-12-16, 22:15

First 30 seconds with just the drums are real good, then... Well... I feel electro/progressive should evoke a certain mood/feeling when you listen to it and you have to pick your sounds based on conveying those feelings. These synths did not do it for me based on the first awesome 30 seconds of drums setting everything up.
Old 2011-12-16, 22:29

LOVE the beat - on the synths you have a sample that starts with minor chords and you then add MAJOR chords on top of it. Could THIS partly be what folks are talking about with the synths starting around :30 seconds? I suggest you try minor chords, since changing the sample would be tough (unless you have Melodyne?!?). :-)

The later synth lines really change the mood and don't seem to fit - it gets very 'jazzy' with the 'outside' chords later on, which again seems out of character with the rest of the tune to me.
USA
Old 2011-12-16, 23:21

its drawn in (my keyboards broken) and somehow I forgot all about music theory and got confused as to what constitutes a major/minor triad. It's down to me being a novice really.

Old 2011-12-16, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwill1s View Post
its drawn in (my keyboards broken) and somehow I forgot all about music theory and got confused as to what constitutes a major/minor triad. It's down to me being a novice really.
The beat at the start is a ready-made loop I take it?

Grum.