Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2011-12-22, 23:30

can reason match the sound of real hardware?

I've bought reason 6 a few days ago, i was planning to make hardstyle using reason..
I have to say i love how reason has the look and feel of real hardware, however when i export my songs and even in reason itself, it seems like the sound is missing oomph. it sounds empty and to be honest it sounds like shit.
I did not notice it when i was working on a track, but after i exported my track and listen to it after i listened to some tracks from a hardstyle cd i noticed a world of difference, reason sounds flat and lacks oomph...

i am not sure if it is because i am doing something wrong while mastering or something but the sounds dont sound full and sound a bit computer-like. I have a pretty decent sound card, so i dont think it has anything to do with that. i am so disappointed, i feel like i wasted 400 euro's while i could have spend that on hardware :C.

should have listened to what my mummy used to tell me, if something sounds to good to be true it probably is :C.
Old 2011-12-22, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassaddiction View Post
I've bought reason 6 a few days ago, i was planning to make hardstyle using reason..
I have to say i love how reason has the look and feel of real hardware, however when i export my songs and even in reason itself, it seems like the sound is missing oomph. it sounds empty and to be honest it sounds like shit.
I did not notice it when i was working on a track, but after i exported my track and listen to it after i listened to some tracks from a hardstyle cd i noticed a world of difference, reason sounds flat and lacks oomph...

i am not sure if it is because i am doing something wrong while mastering or something but the sounds dont sound full and sound a bit computer-like. I have a pretty decent sound card, so i dont think it has anything to do with that. i am so disappointed, i feel like i wasted 400 euro's while i could have spend that on hardware :C.

should have listened to what my mummy used to tell me, if something sounds to good to be true it probably is :C.
You haven't wasted 400 euro and I'm sure you just have to grow acquainted to the different mastering and effect options. The sound of 'real' hardware? You mean how it hums, crackles and breaks? Well you could probably use some white noise in Thor to reproduce some of these characteristics :-))))))))))))

https://soundcloud.com/joumb
Old 2011-12-23, 00:09

i feel reason is good as a vst, or to get an idea down fast.
for producing a track it's no good.
Old 2011-12-23, 00:13

Ok, let's hear what's wrong with these?
http://www.propellerheads.se/downloa...on/demo-songs/
Old 2011-12-23, 07:06

...just make sure you're utilizing the MClass Effects.
Old 2011-12-23, 07:56

I just find it hilarious how much people underestimate the amount of work it takes to make a song sound good.

"Hey guys, I bought Reason 6 last week but I can't get it to sound like my favorite artist... something must be wrong with the software!"
Old 2011-12-23, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by digteamone View Post
I just find it hilarious how much people underestimate the amount of work it takes to make a song sound good.

"Hey guys, I bought Reason 6 last week but I can't get it to sound like my favorite artist... something must be wrong with the software!"
LoLz! I've been using Reason for years and I still can't get it to sound like my favorite artists! Maybe something is wrong with me!

Hey digteamone, I really liked "The 80s?!?" which led me to look at the other projects on your page. Great work! Had to hit the follow button!

And bassaddiction, sorry to get off track...you said hardstyle? Here's a resource to start out with if you haven't already done so.

http://www.boyinaband.com/tutorials/...al-7-day-song/
Old 2011-12-23, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlansford View Post
LoLz! I've been using Reason for years and I still can't get it to sound like my favorite artists! Maybe something is wrong with me!

Hey digteamone, I really liked "The 80s?!?" which led me to look at the other projects on your page. Great work! Had to hit the follow button!

And bassaddiction, sorry to get off track...you said hardstyle? Here's a resource to start out with if you haven't already done so.

http://www.boyinaband.com/tutorials/...al-7-day-song/
Thanks Pete! Glad you concur.. that one was for a forum contest not too long ago, there's another one coming up in January sometime that you should get in on.
Old 2011-12-23, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by digteamone View Post

The problem is we are in the midst of the plugin generation.. who cares about taking the time to make your music sound good when there are tons of VSTs kids can pirate to be creative for them? Especially the "automatic" mastering VSTs.

Whenever somebody states that program X doesn't sound good, or you can't make professional songs with program X, I almost automatically dismiss them as a complete sound engineering n00b. The truth is you can make professional quality tracks with just about anything out there. Skill is what makes professional quality tracks, not software.

Last edited by Hyperbox; 2011-12-23 at 16:21.
Old 2011-12-23, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperbox View Post
The problem is we are in the midst of the plugin generation.. who cares about taking the time to make your music sound good when there are tons of VSTs kids can pirate to be creative for them? Especially the "automatic" mastering VSTs.

Whenever somebody states that program X doesn't sound good, or you can't make professional songs with program X, I almost automatically dismiss them as a complete sound engineering n00b. The truth is you can make professional quality tracks with just about anything out there. Skill is what makes professional quality tracks, not software.
Amen!

Perhaps I'm just a jaded old duffer but I see some of the attitudes on display around me as indicative of the Internet generation where everything is (or should be in their mind) free and easy to get and/or do.

There's little or no conception that shit needs to be worked on to achieve anything vaguely personal rather than the push button homogeneity of pop/pap music. To even suggest that Reason (or any other application) isn't as good as X, Y, or Z, is a nonsense in itself. It certainly won't be the same as X, Y, or Z, but then again, what qualifies anything to be 'as good' as anything else, what's the measurement, the criteria being applied? There isn't one, it's a bullshit statement with no thought, depth, or meaning.

A hardware synth in my hands would not be as 'good' as Reason 2.5 in the hands of a talented producer because I'm not gifted enough to pull it off. Give me a chisel, a hammer, and a block of marble and I'll fuck it up, give those to Michaelangelo and he'll produce 'David'.

It's not about the tools, it's the hands they are in, and the creative mind behind the hands.
'Going to trial with a lawyer who considers your whole life-style a crime in progress is not a happy prospect.' - Hunter S Thompson
~|~
'Live fat, die young, and leave a self-basting corpse for the burn up...' - TFC

Last edited by TheFatControlleR; 2011-12-23 at 18:16. Reason: Typo