Propellerhead Software
Old 2011-12-30, 11:05

Soundcard + Wifi Problems

Has anyone else experienced a sudden meltdown of their soundcard while their wifi is connect to a network?

In my case I have Windows 7, and have that little "Network Meter" gadget on my desktop - and whenever my soundcard suddenly dies I notice a spike in the network traffic. After which I have to go to Reason's Properties, deselect and reselect my soundcard and then it works fine again for a while.

Do you guys know of a solution to this other than disabling the wireless connection?

================
64-Bit i3 Intel Core 2.53Ghz
3G RAM
Windows 7
Soundcard: E-MU 0404 | USB
Old 2011-12-30, 12:34

Turn off WiFi
There's lots of seggestions on comp setup for music recording regarding latency on the net & one thing i see is
" turn off WiFi "

Martin
http://soundcloud.com/itchy-brother-music
Melbourne Australia
Old 2011-12-30, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by domain View Post
Has anyone else experienced a sudden meltdown of their soundcard while their wifi is connect to a network?

In my case I have Windows 7, and have that little "Network Meter" gadget on my desktop - and whenever my soundcard suddenly dies I notice a spike in the network traffic.
You have a laptop?

Generally, the USB, WiFi, and often other devices on a laptop share the same IRQ (interrupt request, which is what signals for communication to/from a device).

Generally, if there's more than one device on an IRQ, you will get an 'IRQ conflict' error. Laptops have a way of handling the shared IRQ, but...

...if multiple devices on a shared IRQ both have heavy demand, one will win out and the other will fail. The WiFi is winning out over your audio interface and causing it to temporarily fail (like a quick power outage). When the audio interface fails, Reason drops it.

As suggested, you can/should turn off your WiFi - that's the easiest.

I'd guess that the WiFi traffic is probably due to some (background) software running, say, an auto-update program, that has found an update and is downloading it. Some of the programs download and auto install - like antivirus.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2011-12-30, 22:48

Thanks I was really hoping to hear a good technical explanation for this - instead of just the ordinary 'we dont know how/why it does that'. I guess that leaves me no choice but to disable the wifi then.

Thanks a lot for all your input guys.
Old 2011-12-31, 17:45

same thing with y firewire saffire pro. its a pain to disable /re enable all the time but it works. I need a new pro audio pc or mac.till then..
AMD 8150 8 core PC 16GB RAM/Reason 6.5/focussrite platinum voice master pre amp/Saffire pro 14/Technics 1200/vestex pro 5 II/AKG perception 420 mic/Roland A 50 mon/M-Audio Axiom 61/casio AP-21 88 keys midi.

Loading SoundCloud…