Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2011-11-25, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
just had a response from Marcus at Props - He has confirmed that it is down to an incompatibility between Balance and the USB Chipset on the mainboard. Apparently I am the third person with this board to have the same/similar problems - at least the work around is cheap. He has suggested a PCI/PCI-E USB card.
So it was motherboard related

Well, like you said, at least the workaround is kinda cheap'n'simple
Old 2011-12-02, 17:27

Hi again.

Just a quick update to this thread.

I have installed a Belkin PCI USB 2.0 card as suggested by Marcus.

The result is excellent, no problems with recording at all, even with the highest sample rate and lowest buffer size, so I can now enjoy the full Balance/Reason6 experience.

On the recommendation of a friend, I ran DCP Latency Checker. With the on-board USB chipset running, latency was averaging 300-400μs - disabling the on-board USB chipset reduced this to an average of 80-90μs, even with every other on-board device still enabled.

So, many thanks to Marcus, and to everyone who replied to this thread - I am now one happy bunny.
Old 2012-01-24, 20:47

Hello, just wondering if the PCI USB solution worked for you? THanks
Old 2012-01-24, 20:48

whoops hadn't read your update when I posted that question glad things worked out!
Old 2012-01-24, 22:55

Quote:
I have just had a response from Marcus at Props - He has confirmed that it is down to an incompatibility between Balance and the USB Chipset on the mainboard. Apparently I am the third person with this board to have the same/similar problems - at least the work around is cheap. He has suggested a PCI/PCI-E USB card.
What is the incompatible usb chipset? that would be worth knowing...although with only 3 people reporting the issue, it must not be commonly used.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-01-24, 23:45

Quote:
I have just had a response from Marcus at Props - He has confirmed that it is down to an incompatibility between Balance and the USB Chipset on the mainboard. Apparently I am the third person with this board to have the same/similar problems - at least the work around is cheap.
What board is it?
Old 2012-01-25, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDiverse View Post
What is the incompatible usb chipset? that would be worth knowing...although with only 3 people reporting the issue, it must not be commonly used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfarmer View Post
What board is it?
Just caught up with this :

The board is a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H, and the chipset is AMD780G/SB700 (SouthBridge 700 is the USB controller)

From Marcus' comments, he referred to 2 other people having the same problem with exactly the same motherboard, but I would guess that this chipset is/was used in other boards. To be fair, it is a couple of years old now, but was sitting around with 4gb ram and an AMD quad core - also has HDMI out onboard, so is hooked up to a 32" TV @ 1080p - I thought the onboard video would be better for keeping the noise level down.

As I said previously, with the Belkin PCI card installed, and the onboard USB enabled, it was perfectly useable - but by disabling the onboard USB, the results from DCP Latency checker were far better and allowed me to reduce the buffer and increase the sample rate with no problems.

EDIT: a quick look arounf Google shows that the chipset was used in boards by MSI.Foxconn and Asus amongst others

Last edited by Arsenic; 2012-01-25 at 20:58. Reason: Bit more info
Old 2012-11-23, 22:19

Hi.

When you say you have tried externally powered USB ports what exactly do you mean?

If you mean using a USB hub then that is probably going to make things worse as reason balance needs to be connected to a USB 2.0 port connected directly to the motherboard.

I had the same problem with my pc as all the USB ports are USB hubs and what I had to do was buy a USB PCI upgrade card I haven't had any problems since. ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Hi-Sp...705213&sr=8-12 )

Thanks
Rhys
Old 2012-11-23, 22:56

Almost a year to the day....."MY CREATURE LIVES"

This was solved a year ago - solution supplied by Propellerheads....Yes I did try an external USB hub, but that was because I had tried everything else and was at a loss of what else to try at the time. I did use a PCI USB card in the end - it was/is a problem with certain AMD USB chipsets....700 and 800 series.

I've since built an new I7 system, and don't need to worry any more.

BTW. I notice this was your first post - welcome to the forums.
Old 2012-12-08, 12:39

Hi to Everyone!

Just for infos, the same issue can be found on an Asus M4A79XTD Evo motherboard....Chipset is also the Southbridge 700 Serie;i am now buying an USB/PCI card but i think that prop should indicate this on the description of the Balance Product;i lost almost 7 hours trying everything to make it work out, till i googled the right terms and found this topic on the forum...Such a major Bug should be listed in the Balance F.A.Q ...