Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-01-30, 21:45

Midi Remote Codec Error...........Help!

Hey fellow Reason users,

I'm using the Korg MicroKontrol which I've used in previous versions of reason without any issues but when using reason 6 i get the following message:

Remote Codec Errors:
Line 2: Missing: File Format Version.
Failed to read map file: MIDI Controller.remotemap.

Some of the midi on the korg control is working for example the faders, but none of the key notes function or pads work

Any clues what might be the problem??
Old 2012-07-04, 17:24

Hey Man!

Did you get to the bottom of the problem, I have the exact same Error Message! I'm using a NI Maschine controller and most of it's working but none of the pads that are triggering in Kong are showing up in the note lane or sequencer.

Please let me know what you can!
!
Old 2012-07-04, 17:44
Propellerhead

The file MIDIController.remotemap is one half of the Control Surface model called "<Other>/MIDI Control Surface" in Remote.

When you run Reason, it finds that file broken.
Specifically, it complains that there is no File Format Version field to identify the supported version(s) of Remote.

Maybe that can happen if you are also running old (3.0.x) versions of Reason on the same system.
Edit: Or if a control surface maker's package installed a old file there. Or by disk corruption, etc.

I think you are using Mac. Maps and codecs are installed in a folder called Remote. On Mac, it can be found under:
"<system-disk>/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software"

You can rename the folder Remote, or move it somewhere else, and Reason will re-create it with all files that it thinks should be there, the next time you run Reason.

If you had installed special remote codecs and maps that you still want, they will remain to be found in the folder you renamed/moved. Put any such files back at the correct place in Remote folder that was re-created by Reason, and restart Reason to make them available.

Edit: Yeah, I didn't see how old this thread was, trying to help the OP was a bit late.
Beninjaman: If your issue is on Windows, then the same applies but the path is "%ProgramData%\Propellerhead Software" (paste that into explorer) -- that's where you will find the Remote folder on Windows 8/7/Vista. (On Windows XP it is in the "All Users" / "Application Data" folder)

Edit: This post contained the wrong path to the Remote-Codecs/Maps folder on Windows, now corrected.

Last edited by jengstrom; 2013-03-18 at 14:48.
Old 2012-08-27, 23:32

Have the same issue
Old 2012-12-22, 18:49

i had this same issue in reason 6.5, what i thought was a clean install, when trying to do surface discovery with a Nektar Panorama p6. none of the pads on the P6 were working

maybe i did have a previous install on this computer... im not sure.

anyway - i fixed it by uninstalling reason, and looking for any 'propellerheads' directorys in the user profile folders, or in the 'program data' hidden folders. (in wndows 7 x64) - and deleting them.

after i did that, reinstalled reason, reinstalled the Nektar Panorama Remote bits, reran surface discovery, and it was ok

thanks to jengstrom for the tip on that. i guess it must be debris from leftovers of a previous installation. just like he said.

JD

Last edited by jaydee180; 2012-12-22 at 18:57.
Old 2013-03-08, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUKEE View Post
Hey fellow Reason users,

I'm using the Korg MicroKontrol which I've used in previous versions of reason without any issues but when using reason 6 i get the following message:

Remote Codec Errors:
Line 2: Missing: File Format Version.
Failed to read map file: MIDI Controller.remotemap.

Some of the midi on the korg control is working for example the faders, but none of the key notes function or pads work

Any clues what might be the problem??
I'm having the same issue, all worked well in version 5 and my Korg MicroKontrol, now reason doesn't recognise it - did you get it working?
Old 2013-03-18, 14:03

I've got the same error message, but in my case it's with an Axiom Pro and while hypercontrol is working the keys are not getting note on messages. All obvious things have been ruled out one at a time. I cleaned up my previous installs really carefully, but as jengstrom mentioned, the hidden files under 'program data' have to be removed (I'm also win7 Pro x64) and I didn't do that. The 'propellerheads' directorys in user files may need work too. If that works and I get a clean install I'll post that it's solved.
Old 2013-03-18, 14:52
Propellerhead

tiger77: I guess you noticed I had written the wrong path in my post. The correct path to Remote on Windows is under the ProgramData folder (different on XP, see my post above).

It should be enough to:

1. Move away, delete or rename the Remote folder
2. Run Reason again to install the ones that come with it.
3. Quit Reason and install the Axiom Remote stuff
4. Start Reason, Preferences and follow the Axiom Remote instructions to add the Control Surface(s)

The user files on the other hand (under %appdata%) contain your Reason preferences, template songs and downloaded files for rack extensions. I don't think you need to change anything there to get the Axiom working.
Old 2013-03-18, 18:34

Working

I un-installed and deleted all traces of Reason before reinstalling it, it all works now, same applied to my other computer, same issue and same resolution un-install everything (and delete folders etc. as outlined in other messages on this page)
Old 2013-04-18, 20:47

I have the same problem. Using Automap Universal and Reason 6.5.