Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-02-05, 08:30

Cool Reason 7, Screen space and better color control

Screen space and better color control.....please for Reason 7.

Space!
While the Main Mixer, Rack, and Sequencer views all provide a descent amount of space (on or detached), there is quite a bit of wasted screen space that is always present. Particularly in the sequencer, and most of all around the transport panel
Areas where screen space needs to be improved are:

1. The transport Bar. To the left and right of the transport bar is dead space. The transport bar needs the option to be relocated, and not fill the screen from side to side. Anything but stuck in one place with gobs of unusable blank space to the left and right side.

2. The Song/Block/Edit mode bar contains a ton of wasted space. While viewing the sequencer screen [F7} there is nearly 8 to 10% of blank area along this horizontal bar. That's a lot of nothing that could be narrower, or contain additional edit tools when in any of the song, block or edit modes.

3. Better customization of the navigator panes. In Reason 6, the navigator panes are either globally on or off and when switching this function, it effects all views (rack, sequencer, and mixer). That's very limited control of space. Not to mention, there's no shortcut button!

While Propellerhead engineers/Design Staff are thankfully concerned about musician workflow, it would really be beneficial to now tailor the screen space so that musicians can adjust the screen to their preferences. Perhaps keep a simple start up interface for new users, but allow customization, fly out panes, and so forth for personalizing workspace. If the user doesn't like that sort of customization, then don't use it.

For example: How about a right click for a menu to contain "quick edit tools" in the sequencer screen.

Wouldn't it be nice to have channel Strip Navigators fly out by mousing over or run the cursor off of the screen to the right or at top to access the Navigator? None of this would tax the CPU, but would greatly enhance the user feedback, and ability to see more valuable screen space.

Color. "Could someone turn the lights down here?"
Lastly, and an extremely important one is better use of color customization. The track color option for tracks is cute, but let's face it, the colors are limited (16?) and a little too tooty fruity! How about having the ability to create a softer gray screen atmosphere (background), and at least 256 colors. Not fruit bars. If track colors could be passed onto to the SSL console tracks as well, the console would be easier to locate tracks. Yes, the bottom of the track contains some color, so I guess this is somewhat covered here.

Remember, the key word here is "option". If users like what they already have, fine. Some of us though work many hours in Reason, so workspace and color do become a factor. At present, our only option is to export tracks to another DAW.

Last edited by Lokeyfly; 2012-02-10 at 08:43.
Old 2012-02-05, 12:01

+1 !
The workspace customization is very importaint for a most Reason users!
Old 2012-02-05, 12:18

yes, when I worked dailly in cubase I put all backgrounds to a sort of blueish grey, to lower the stress on my eyes, worked great. Now, again my eyes get tired fast with bright colors and the lack of customization.

And I would like to get some real red, green, blue yellow etc in the colorselection, instead of all these off-color colors ... sorry for my strange sentence

When we are talking about screen estate, would also be nice to have the ability to resize the modules/rack. I don;t want to sit 20 cm in fron tof the screen to read the nnxt.
Old 2012-02-08, 08:24

Don't mind the sentence at all Bonk.

Reason is a fantastic starting point for creating musical ideas. Even right on to a finished product.

This is a good time for PH to really be receptive to customizing the pallate.
Old 2012-02-11, 06:26

Yeah, I've been using Reason since 1.0; and I haven't been reading up on Reason 6 in detail, so imagine my shock when I loaded Reason 6 for the first time. I mean, I had NO idea wtf was going on. Seriously, the interface is insane.

Once I took a deep breath, I was able to understand things a little better, but Reason now feels more cluttered on my brand new 1920x1080 MacBook Pro than it did on my 12-year old 1024x768 PowerBook.

Reason has sometimes been criticized for its skeuomorphic interface, but it never actually seemed to get in my way; and I liked Reason enough to not really care anyway. However, with this release, this is the first time that felt skeptical about even being able to use it. Ableton Live, on the other hand, has aged very gracefully. I feel that Reason could take a few cues from it, especially in the granularity of control one has over hiding various elements of Live's interface.
Old 2012-02-11, 13:59

I agree with allot of this stuff using a laptop, I would love an option too just change the entire colour vibe of everything in the application much like renoise interface.
Old 2012-02-11, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwerggle View Post
Yeah, I've been using Reason since 1.0; and I haven't been reading up on Reason 6 in detail, so imagine my shock when I loaded Reason 6 for the first time. I mean, I had NO idea wtf was going on. Seriously, the interface is insane.

Once I took a deep breath, I was able to understand things a little better, but Reason now feels more cluttered on my brand new 1920x1080 MacBook Pro than it did on my 12-year old 1024x768 PowerBook.

Reason has sometimes been criticized for its skeuomorphic interface, but it never actually seemed to get in my way; and I liked Reason enough to not really care anyway. However, with this release, this is the first time that felt skeptical about even being able to use it. Ableton Live, on the other hand, has aged very gracefully. I feel that Reason could take a few cues from it, especially in the granularity of control one has over hiding various elements of Live's interface.
Thanks zwerggle.
Interesting! I'll bet you were pleasantly surprized that Reason 6 is still by and large the same usable layout. The rack is still quite similar and now allows horizontal stacking for better organizing. That's a tribute to PH's skeuomorphic interface and design. It works! Reason definately has it's own "look" and that's a good thing. The ability to change color or customize space shouldn't change Reasons identifiable look.

The overall layout of Reason's "piano roll" sequencer is perfect for my work flow, and I'll dare to say most traditional (ouch) recordinng artists. Hopefully, the intent here is not to change design characterisics, but to incorporate more flexable use of workspace. Reason can be found on everything from laptops to desktops using multi screen monitors where the sequencer, rack, and SSL desk can be all seperately viewed. I use Reason in both these two ways.

Your contribution for feeling it is actually too cluttered is really appreciated, and adds to the point for further customization. Keep it simple but pack plenty of power with minimal effort. Keep it......Reason.
Old 2012-02-11, 21:02

I have my screen step up to where I can see the rack, sequencer, and my tool window all at the same time. If I need the mixer, why I dont tend to use during the producing stand but I'll simpling hit one of the key commands or just simplying drag the window down from the top of the sequencer.
Old 2012-02-15, 13:00

and another thing ! ....

Maybe the ability change the font. Would like the SSL channel names to be bigger (and bolder).
Or even change th color, zo I can use white or yellow letters in dark background ssl channel colors.
Now I change al the darker ones to brighter to get more contrast with the black font
Old 2012-02-18, 16:14

I agree about the limited color options - 16 is not really adedquate. I really find color coding useful but this is very limited.

Also, I might have missed something as only started using Reason at v.6 two months ago but I notice that changing the colors in windows (e.g Arranger / Mixer) doesn't seem to have an effect on the other in all circumstances. This seems so basic that I can't believe they have overlooked it! Someone tell me I have missed something, please (thanks in advance for your enlightenment!)