Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2007-12-14, 17:47
Ray

HELP! Should I upgrade Windows just for Reason 4?

Ok, here's my dillema. I'm a semi-professional producer (by that I mean my beats have been on records that have sold hundreds of thousands of copies, but I've made $0 - it's ok I have a day job). I've been making my beats stricly on a computer running Windows 98SE, using Cool Edit 2000 & Cakewalk (no, not Sonar - that's too 'new') for about 6-7 years now. Needless to say, I have TONS of tracks, samples, and sounds saved on that computer.

I've recently come to the conclusion that it's almost 2008, I have to get w/ the program and update my setup, and I've played around w/ Reason and really like it. My dillema is this. Is there a difference whether I 'upgrade' my computer from Windows 98 to XP SP2 or do a 'new install' of XP SP2? I would much, much prefer to do an upgrade, because then I could keep all my old music. If I do a new install, I can't just save and copy the old music files & tracks, because the locations of all the files would change. I'd have to resequence and basically redo every track, which I do NOT want to do.

The obvious answer is to just do an upgrade, but I have heard that doing an upgrade vs. a reinstall sometimes creates problems, especially w/ MIDI software.

My other option is to keep Windows 98SE, and run an older version of Reason (2.5), but I figure if I'm going to do this, I should do it right.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

'x-rae one'