Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2008-03-20, 06:36

Basic help with Reason concepts?

So,

I'm a pretty technical person. I co-founded a popular geek e-commerce site, ThinkGeek.com. Ok, that doesn't make me hyper technical, I am a sysadmin at core. Before I started ThinkGeek, I co-founded an ISP in the mid-nineties. I know packets and networking and such.

That said, I have some basic music skills. I can play the piano by ear. Lots of songs, but I'm no savant. And most of what I play I make-up from scratch and it sounds good (to me - but at the same time, I have no idea what I'm playing in terms of chords, scales, tempo, musical theory, keys, etc.

Reason 4.0 seems like this machine that can do so much. It's almost overwhelming. All these tools and gadgets and within every gadget lies another little gadget. And within ever little gadget lies a way to tweak the gadget into an almost infinite space. Like I said, It's overwhelming. So many synths!

I vote for a ReasonN00b edition.

And so many of you seem to embrace Reason so easily and create some of the most amazing songs that I've ever listed to. HOW?

I look at Reason and see so much possibility that I have no clue where to start. I've tried some online youtube tutorials. I suppose this sounds newbish. They are too basic for me, and the other stuff is too advanced.

I just don't know where to start?

I'm getting the impression, I need to hone up on basic music skills before trying to understand oscillators and modulators and stuff.

Just curious what those of you out there that are successfully using Reason have in terms of a musical background and if there is a quick 'try this first' attitude I need to adopt that I might have missed.

I can't wait to post my first song

Humbly,
-Willie