Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2008-07-25, 17:03
blkrbt

Multi-track Export

Hi

I tried looking for a piece of software for reason that would export each track on the mixer as a seperate WAV file, so that you could then import them WAV files into something like nuendo and do your mixing there (without having to use rewire), but I wasn't able to find an automated way of doing it... so I made one.

I wanted to post to see if anyone would be interested in it, if no one would actually find it useful I don't see a point in making it to a releasable standard.

The program is a simple automation script, you open Reason and load up your project, have the mixer showing, run the program and type in the ammount of tracks and name of the project, this is all the user has to do, a box comes up when it's done exporting the tracks.

the program will then automatically solo the first track, export it as a wav with the name "<project name>_<track number>.WAV" wait until it's done and do the same with the other tracks, one by one. You're not able to use your computer while it's doing this as the program takes control of your mouse and keyboard to do the exporting, it's meant as something you leave running while you get on with something else. I've used it on a few of a friend's reason files and it works perfectly.

It works on Windows XP with Reason4. I'm not sure how well it will fend on vista, or with previous versions of Reason.

Say if you're interested, so I can get a rough idea if it's worth building for a proper release, if you're up for testing it on windows vista or Reason3 it'd be a lot of help, or if you just want to try it out on XP with reason 4, feel free.

UPDATE:
I'm going to upload it in it's current state, and anyone can test it and report back to me, it seems the most logical way of doing it, as opposed to sending it to individuals and supplying instructions. The link to download is at the bottom of the post.

Please note that this is in early development, when you run the program a lot of annyoing messages will come up that I wrote, due to the circumstances of it working have to be quite specific, but you need to actually read these messages, because if you do something wrong it'll end up messy. I can't stress that you have to follow these instructions enough. You shoulden't have to back up your project file before you do it, but feel free to if you're a bit paranoid that something might go wrong.

This is quite dodgy at the moment, but if you do it right it will work, don't expect something shiney and easy you can just jump in and use, that is not what this is.

You also have to be running reason in standalone mode, do not rewire. Note that once the process starts exporting you won't be able to do anything on your computer, a box will pop up when it's finished.

Instructions:
  • Load up Reason. (This has been tested on Windows XP SP2, with Reason4. Others might not work), make sure only one instance of Reason is open.
  • Open your project file in reason. The file has to be a .rns file, the .rps ones will not work.
  • Set your "end" marker in the reason box, the program will export as a song, not loop, so it does it from the "left" marker to the "end" marker on the sequencer.
  • Expand the mixer containing the tracks you want to export. so long as the mute/solo buttons are visible it will work, if you have more than one, only have one expanded at a time and mute the other ones.
  • Make sure none of the mute/solo buttons are active on the mixer tracks you're exporting
  • To set where the files will export, first export the song as a whole in the directory where you'll want the tracks to be. The program exports to the last directory that was exported to.
  • Run the "reaxport_beta1_1.exe" file, the the program won't work if you run it straight from the zip, make sure you unzipped both the files to the same place first. Once you run, the first 4 message boxes will pop up, it's my crazy 2am ramberlings, I recomend you read them
  • The name of your project will be asked, type in what you want the wav files to be called
  • The ammount of tracks will be asked. typing in 4, for example, will do the first 4 tracks, typing in 14 will do all the tracks on the mixer.
  • Click OK, cross your fingers and wait.
  • ONCE THE PROCESS HAS STARTED IT WILL START SENDING MOUSE AND KEYBOARD SIGNALS, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO WATCH IT MOVING THE MOUSE CURSOR ON THE SCREEN, SOLOING AND UNSOLOING TRACKS. DO NOT INTERACT WITH THE COMPUTER AT THIS POINT. IT'LL EXPORT EACH TRACK SEPERATLY AND DISPLAY A MESSAGE WHEN IT IS DONE.
  • I cannot stress the above point enough, your computer cannot be used while the process is at work. Go make some tea or bake a cake, it takes about 10 minutes for a 6minute 14 track song on my 3.4ghz pentium D to export.
Download Link

Hope it works for whoever trys it, if it does work report back. If it starts acting wierd or in an unintended way I recomend you attempt to right click the icon at the bottom right of the screen, and click "exit", or ctrl+alt+del and end the process

Also, I know the instructions sound long, but once you know how to do it properly, it should only take around 30seconds to get started the next time.

Good luck.

Last edited by blkrbt; 2008-07-25 at 21:14.