Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2008-12-27, 19:43

Help recording Reason with other live instruments

I haven't bought Reason yet, but I've been trying to set up my recording setup with the demo and I'm at a loss as to how I'd do this. What I'm trying to do is be able to do a live recording with me playing a MIDI controller that is controlling reason, and a friend playing bass guitar, recording into a program on the same computer that is running Reason. I don't really need separate tracks for me and my friend, I just want to be able to record us both at the same time. Basically, I have the headphone out of my computer as the source of Reason's sound, and a 1/4" mono jack from my friend's effects pedal as the source of the Bass guitar's sound. I need to somehow get both of these sources back into the computer, and into a recording application.

What I've tried so far is putting my computer's output and the bass guitar's output into separate tracks on a mixer, and going from the mixer's headphone output (as well as CD/Tape output) into my computer's microphone jack. The problem is, whatever goes into my computer's mic jack seems to come right out the headphone jack, which is going back into the mixer, and, eventually, back into the mic jack, creating a loop.

I then tried using the ReWire thing into the Ableton version that came with my M-Audio keyboard. I couldn't get any sound at all from the MIDI channel that was supposed to be playing Reason's sounds, so I was stopped right there.

I have no clue how else I could do this. Anybody else have any ideas? Thanks in advance.