Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2009-01-29, 17:18
scadh

Are OEM versions of Reason legal?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and am considering purchasing Reason 4, but have a question about something that looks too good to be true. I don't want to buy cracked or illegal software.

Is the company at the following website selling legal, licensable software or is their business model illegal?

http://oemdatabase.net/shop/item/24/

They're selling what they describe as OEM versions of some of the most popular software in the world from companies like Microsoft, Adobe, McAfee and, of course, Propellerhead. They claim that they buy legal software from companies going out of business, but only sell the software and corresponding serial number via download. You get no printed documentation, no ability to register the software online and no access to future upgrades excepting .X updates. The price is what scares me.

The website looks legitimate and it's hard to imagine them getting away with this for very long if it were illegal. But I'm no sucker and most of the time when something looks too good to be true -- it is.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks for your time!