Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2009-01-30, 00:48

Rewire slave to offload CPU resources from host sequencer?

Hi. New guy to the forum here.

I am using Digital Performer as my host sequencer, and am hosting my VI's in an external app (Plogue Bidule). DP is the rewire host, and Bidule is the rewire slave. It all basically works just fine; DP sends MIDI to Bidule, which hosts my VI's. The VI's audio is returned from Bidule to DP via rewire, which comes into Aux tracks in DP.

My question is: Should the above scenario offload processing to the slave program?

Since DP is not hosting the VI's, I thought it would improve CPU performance within DP. DP is only sending MIDI to the slave, and receiving the audio back through the Aux channels. But, it appears that DP's processor utilization is still hit just about as hard as if the VI's were hosted inside DP itself.

Hope this all makes sense. Anyone have any idea about this?

My system:
Mac 8-core, tons of RAM and HD
OS-X 10.5.5
Digital Performer 6.01