Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2009-02-17, 20:10

Best midi configuration with Pro Tools?

Hey,

I have a MIDI routing question. I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions.

Reason and Protools work great together, but there has always been a slight workflow hitch that I can't get my head around. I'm sure it can be done with the proper midi configuration.

It's a bit hard to explain, but I'll try.

I have a 2x2 midisport USB interface, with a single controller connected (it happens to be a Nord Lead 3). Let's say i'm wired to input B on the m-audio box. The keyboard is set as the "master keyboard" in the Reason prefs. I use the same MIDI input to record into Protools.

When I want to record a midi track in Reason, no problem. Let's say I find a drum patch, press record and go. Then I want to record a midi track in Protools, let's say a Native Instruments B4 organ. First I have to disable the "master keyboard" in Reason, otherwise I'll be triggering the drum machine every time I audition the protools organ. So I do that, and record my Protools track.
Now I want to audition some more patches in Reason. I bring up the instrument browser, and of course I hear nothing, because I have disabled the master keyboard. Annoying. I enable the keyboard, and continue on. You can see how this would be frustrating, back and forth all the time.

Basically, I want to be able to do 3 things without having to alter my configuration all the time:
1) record midi into reason, controlling reason devices.
2) record midi into protools, controlling protools devices.
3) record midi into protools, controlling reason devices.
3) audition sounds in both programs, without triggering the other.

How do I set up the two programs and my controller to do this? How do I set up the default channels for this to work every time I make a new session? What are my midi thru settings in Protools? What are my control surface and advance midi preferences in Reason?

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers
adam