Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2009-08-12, 01:19

Variable/Modifiable Preset Vector Tool for Automation

Hey, I'm brand new to the forums but have been using Reason for a long time. First off, let me say, Reason is pretty much the best. Ever. And when Record comes out, I won't even have to bother dealing with another DAW anymore, I am pretty excited to go 'purely Propellerhead'! Anyway, i'll get to the point of my suggestion.

Recently when I was working on a track today, I found myself having to open up past songs to grab the automation nodes for certain automation effects; curves i had meticulously drawn out and tweaked, perfectly crescendo-ing sawtooth patterns, and a host of other creative but tedious automation patterns I've made. I'm sure, fellow Reason users, that you may have found yourself in a similar scenario in the past. This may have been posted before but I'm still sifting through the forums and looking at a lot of great ideas...so forgive me if I'm not sounding very original.

I propose, to get around that problem, that a new 'vector' tool be added to Reason's toolbox bar. Users would select an automation lane and then could click the tool, and a new dialog box would appear. Inside the dialog box, users could pick the type of curve or automation pattern they want (inverse square, parabola, sine pattern, sawtooth pattern, various other oscillating patterns that would be useful), and then could modify other parameters like duration by clicking and dragging in the automation lane where they wanted the pattern to go and stretching it out. After laying down their preset vector, users could select the vector and click and drag to skew it and push it around and make other creative adjustments. The pen tool in photoshop comes to mind, i think with more advanced automation this tool would be an awesome timesaver and could open up a whole new world of automation creativity.

Users who do not have external hardware that would allow them to have fine control over automation parameters (like a keyboard with knobs all over it or something) could instead just drop in presets and tweak them to their liking without messing around with the pencil tool and get really smooth, accurate, and creative automation. I think would be a valuable addition to an already amazing piece of software!

At the very least it'd be really nice if I could quantize automation nodes...seems like that would be an easy addition as well.

Alright so I'm done imagining, thanks for listening! I hope it's something the geniuses at Propellerhead can implement in the future!

-EEPROM