Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2009-08-12, 15:10

Need opinions on my mastering (volume maximization)

Hello!

I need some opinions from people who know their stuff.
I've recorded some electronica/orchestral/metal thingy, and while the song is far from finished (as usual) I'm experimenting in trying to get as much volume out of Record while not degrading the sound quality.

So I have two mixes, one is quite flat in its mastering, there is some slight limiting (MClass Maximizer):
http://hardtwist.olf.sgsnet.se:8080/...20preview).mp3

Then there is this mix, which is also using the SSL master compressor, and some master EQ tweaking.
http://hardtwist.olf.sgsnet.se:8080/...%20master).mp3

They are subtle but make quite a difference for those who know what problems I'm talking about
The mix is very "full", with pretty much all frequencies filled with content which makes it harder to get good volume out of it.

So I want your opinions on both, on the differences between them, and most importantly, on the mastering of the last. Is it too compressed? Are the details in the guitars disappearing? Is the kick causing pumping? Etc..

PS. That server is my own, so if it for some reason suddenly is unreachable, by router has crashed and I'm about to restart it.. Stupid router DS.