Features I've suggested to Propellerhead
Here are some features I've submitted during the private beta and since buying Record.
1. One of the first things I would like to see added in a future version of Record would be the ability to re-pitch an audio track. The time stretch and compression features in Record are pretty amazing but if you want to add a key change or change the pitch of an audio clip, the only way to do this at the moment would be to buy Recycle, bounce the track out of Record, load up Recycle, change the pitch and then import it back into your Record session, which is not as workflow friendly.
2. Another cool feature would be the ability to slice an audio clip at each waveform transient (or to a beat grid of 16th notes 8th notes and so on) and export it directly to a new Dr.REX device with a MIDI track containing the note data for each slice created. The user would then be free to rearrange the slices (not to mention change the pitch of the whole clip or each slice), thus making audio editing more creative. Again, the only way this is possible at the moment would be to bounce the track out of Record into Recycle, create a slices REX file and then load it into a Dr.REX device within Record. It would be much faster if this were an integral feature and open up many creative options to the musician.
3. Another good feature would be to add an AUDIO tab on the floating Tool Window to allow the user to drag and drop audio directly onto the tracks rather than having to constantly go to the "Import Audio" tab from the file menu. Drag and drop would speed up the workflow and be much simpler. It would also help if Record could detect the tempo of the audio without having to make a new clip at the correct tempo.
4. Dedicated sub mix channel strips in the main mixer would be a nice (but not essential) touch, as it would be simpler than having to set up another mixer in the rack and then route tracks to it and then send the out to a new channel. Dedicated sub mix channels would be much faster and again, keep things simple within Record.
5. A further feature I would like to see in Record is the ability to have MIDI tracks for external instruments. I would love to do is bring in external synthesizers and drum machines into my record session by being able to sequence them and then print the audio to a Record track. This would also make up for the lack of plugin support, which I would not miss quite so much if I could sequence my external equipment.
6. The ability to quantize audio would also be of great benefit. This would really help when trying to record a difficult passage, as the audio clip could be quantized, so reducing the need to re-record the passage again and then comp the best sections together into a new audio clip.
7. And this is a big one, but - a dedicated control surface would really take this software to the next level - as the interactivity it would provide for the user would not only simplify the recording process but make it much more intuitive. Most available controllers would seem to fall a little short of the mark, as they're not truly suited to the task of controlling such a powerful program as Record, though the latest version of Novations Automap software may help much more with regard to controlling Reason and Record.
I know some of these feature may seem a little "DAW" orientated, but not really. They are just features a modern recording program should offer in order to be at the top of the pile when it comes to being quick and intuitive in getting your musical ideas down quickly rather than having to use multiple programs to get the job done. I really love Record and hope that at least some of these features are on the 1.5 or 2.0 revision list. Sorry if this post seems a little long, but I've been a Reason user since 2002 and have been waiting a long time for features like this, as I'm sure many of you have!
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Comments and questions about the new features||DarkstaR84||Phead User Forum (read only)||0||2007-10-18 21:13|
|Propellerhead guys hare dead or what ?||onosendai||General Forum (read only)||60||2006-02-21 17:25|
|I LOVE PROPELLERHEAD SOFTWARE,||PapaPajamma||Phead User Forum (read only)||8||2005-09-05 09:23|
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:25.