Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2009-11-30, 07:04

Re-amping to external devices

Either via USB / firewire or audio interface i/o

I'm looking at the digidesign eleven rack which sounds really nice. It has a feature when used with protools (it includes protools LE but I'd like to stay in record) that will let you record the wet signal to two track stereo and a mono dry signal. Later on you can re-amp it from protools to the connected eleven rack (it can even embed the settings for the preset you used in the audio track, but I'm not too concerned about that).

This would also be good for using vocal processors like the ones from TC helicon that have spdif i/o. You can record processed and unprocessed vox in record then if you want to add harmonies, correction, or voice modeling, you just re-amp the dry track via your audio interface.

Pros:
- Can greatly extend the capabilities of Record and offer more effects / usability without a lot of effort
- Still keeps record the easy to use, streamlined program we all know and love
- Potentially frees up computer resources by using an external device instead of internal processing, depending on how it is used.
- Not VST

Cons:
- The people who are not happy due to lack of VST support will still not be happy. Not much of a con for me, but I thought I'd list a con just to balance things out.