Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2010-01-06, 15:53

Update On Latency Issues

Ok,

After reading all of these latency threads, I finally went out and bought a Line 6 Studio GX for my own testing and here are the results that I found. My testbed was two computers. One, my main recording desktop and the other was my laptop. Here are the results of what I experienced and what I've found out:

1.) My first installation was on my desktop. Since I've put together around 800+ boxes in my past life, this is a homemade computer as well. The specs are:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel mainboard
Intel Pentium D 3.0ghz processor
3 Gig Ram
NVidea 8500

About 3 years old

I installed a fresh version of Windows 7 Home Premium and the only software on it is Record / Reason, Pod Farm, Reaper and Line 6 Monkey. I also installed my new Akai LPK25. After doing all the updates, I was ready. I used the ASIO GX driver for all testing.

The first thing I did was to record an NN-XT midi part with strings a a drum track with Redrum. I then recorded 4 guitar parts; 2 with Pod Farm as a stand-alone app (MUCH better experience than with just an I-loc) and two with combinators.

AT NO POINT DID I EVER EXPERIENCE LATENCY WHILE MONITORING A WET SIGNAL OR WITH MONITOR MODE IN AUTO OR MANUAL. AT NO POINT DID I HAVE TO MANUALLY ADJUST ANY TRACK TO COMPENSATE FOR RECORDING LATENCY. AT NO POINT DID I HAVE TO ADJUST MY PLAYING TO ACCOMODATE ANY CONCLUDED SHORTCOMINGS.

Now, at one point while playing with the Pod Farm latency settings OUTSIDE of Record, I noticed that with some ridiculous settings, there was about a 1/10 of a second delay from strumming to the earphones. However, I expected that as I was playing with the latency settings.

My experience in Reaper was the same.

2.) Laptop.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Gateway NV52 AMD Athlon X2
4 Gig Ram
AMD Internal Video

About 3 weeks old.

I installed a clean version of Windows 7 and did the same software installation as above. Once I fired up the computer, it was immediately evident that something wasn't right. I got a lot of white noise during anything audio related on the computer. Record and Reaper both fired up without any problems and the Studio GX seemed to be loaded just fine as well. Once inside of both programs, the situation was the same. White noise, cracking and popping.

I went to the Line 6 website for some help and it clearly states that Line 6 does not yet support Windows 7 in the online forum discussing Windows 7 issues. They point you to a beta driver to try at your own risk. It didn't help my laptop experience.

I can't be upset as they clearly point out that Windows 7 is not supported at this time. I'm not sure what you others are using on your computers.

Why one version of Windows 7 works on one machine and not on another leads me to conclude that, as of right now, a hardware combination is critical for a decent experience while using Windows 7 and some of the lower end cards. I will test my laptop with Windows XP and the Studio GX this afternoon and post the results.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, what I experienced leads me to conclude that all of these issues being reported are driver / hardware combinations. It's the only explanation for a seamless experience on one machine and a headache on another. Since I've only tested with Windows 7, at this point, and it's not officially supported, that's to be expected. If you are not running Windows 7, I would think your experience should be what I had on my desktop but the hardware / driver combination might be a problem there too.

More soon......