Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2009-12-31, 11:16

multi MIDI-IN recording

That's it

This isn't a new request/feature sugestion. I made it a few times, embedded in other requests, but since there's even an "official" thread for MIDI-OUT, I thought it was time to bring this subject up again: Multiple MIDI-IN recording, both for Record and Reason.

(you can skip this part if you've better things to do )

I don't know how but I ended up owning 4 controller MIDI keyboards (ok, I'm lying... I know perfectly well why: buying newer better, never sell the old and always come up with a good excuse to keep using all)... and I'm tempted to own a 5th, the Akai LPK25 (don't ask).

Anyway... although I enjoy using'em all for different purposes:
  • 2 octave MidAir for Bass lines or while on the sofa with the laptop in my lap (this is why the Akai LPK25 looks interesting)
  • the 5 octave Axiom for piano-style or aftertouch-aware patches
  • the little old 4 octave mini-keyb for Dr.REX control or non-velocity sensitive patches, like Accordion, Clav or Pipe Organ patches!
  • and the cheapo mellow old 4 octave keyb for Strings, Brass/Horns or Synth-like patches
...the problem is that, when actually recording a MIDI track, only the master keyb will do it, so I find myself having to re-play using the Axiom (usually the master keyb) whatever I just created while jamming in real-time and.... that's a bummer.

So, it would be nice to be able to record all of the performance from whatever number of controllers (in this case, keyboards) being used to whatever number of MIDI tracks.

This would be very useful to:
  • capture the performance of multi MIDI instrument players in a band
    (if Record can do it for the acoustic players, why keep the MIDI players out of the fun by restricting it to 1 recording track at a time ?)
  • those wanting to recreate the dual-keyb experience of playing 2 (or 3 if you have a foot MIDI keyb) Hammond-style patches simultaneously
  • those used to play various patches simultaneously Jarre/Vangelis style

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2009-12-31 at 11:24.