Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2010-08-31, 00:47

M-Audio Fast Track MKII vs. Tascam US-122 MKII

i know this isn't the most ideal place to inquire about this, but i want a decent USB interface between $100 and $120 USD. I love everything about M-audio as a company, and their support is great, but hearing that the Fast Track is USB 1.1 kinda scares me off. The Tascam sounds great based on the features. The biggest draw is USB 2.0 because of the high speed which allows for low latency with software monitoring. However i have noticed online that there is barely any support from Tascam. The part about the Tascam US-122 that scares me off is the number of poor reviews about sound quality, including pops and hisses.

I am fine with 1 or 2 analog inputs (1 if it is a dual XLR and 1/4 inch input), I only need a 1/4 inch output and balanced RCA outputs. I need it to be USB, not firewire or PCI. 24 bit is good. I know Tascam has up to 96 kHZ sample rate as opposed to 48 for m-audio, and i am still fine buying the M-audio. As far as features I am fine buying either the Tascam or the M-audio, I am only concerned about audio quality in practice, not just in theory, and the ability to record while monitoring through software without latency being a noticeable issue.

which of these, if either, should i buy? if there is another USB interface around the $100-$120 price range that you think is better based on my needs, let me know.

Thanks!