Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2010-09-16, 00:15
noobinberg

MIDI Latency

Hello,

I'm getting bad latency with my MIDI controller (500 ms.) I am using an old Roland synthesizer...(model # rubbed off)...I connect the MIDI ports to the Serial MIDI connections on my M-Audio Fast Track 8r. It uses ASIO drivers. The M-Audio module connects to my PC via USB 2.0. I get sound but, it just takes way too long for it to travel from my finger to my speakers.

I've not had a chance to adjust the buffer size yet as I've only just read all about that at work today so, I'll try that and let you know how it works.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to get 0 latency from my controller. I'd really like to record my tracks live but 1/2 second latency is far to much.

Is adjusting the buffer in Audio preferences the only thing I can do to reduce latency?

I'm using Reason 5 (sometimes I rewire reason into Cakewalk's Sonar8 but latency is multiplied 10X that way so I only use rewire if the song is done and I need to record audio, like vocals or instruments with it)

My Box:
P4 2.66 ghz On a crappy ECS MOBO
2 gb ddr2 533mhz RAM
M-Audio Fast Track 8r (run all system sound through this module as well as Audio App sound)
400 gb SATA HDD (OS and Programs)
1 tb SATA HDD (Storage)
256 mb ddr3 vRAM for Video using directx 10 when I can, (not that video power matters much.)