Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2010-09-22, 06:12

Making my music sound professional

Hi guys, I'm a hiphop producer from New York. I've been producing for about 5 years using Reason, but I only produce for fun and I never really took it seriously. I have front row seats to Knicks and Miami Heat game in December and I plan on making a demo cd of beats because I know I'll definetly see a famous hip-hop artist there. Recently I've been watching reason hip-hop tutorials on youtube to get an idea of what it takes to make professional hiphop beats. I learned about equalizing, compressing, maximizing, sterio imaging, the advanced reverb, adding a swing to drums, and making an instrumemt in the thor synthesizer. I recently bought some XXL Hip Hop drum samples from this site called loop masters (witch i hear supplies the drum samples for the MPC drum pads). I know having good drum samples is a good way, because drums is probably the most important part of making a beat. Watchin youtube has been helping a lot, but i still have a really long way to go before I start making professional music. And by the way, the only equipment i have is a regular M-audio midi piano, an AKAI MPD18 pad controller and of course Reason 4. So what kind of tips and secrets can you guys give me in order for me to drastically improve my producing game, weather is has to do with mixing and mastering techniques, drums, types of instruments to use? Any kind of tips, tricks and techniques would be greatly appreciated!