Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2010-10-04, 20:48

Dear Propellerhead: The Ignition Key (dongle) is a big mistake

I've been with Propellerhead since Reason 2, and the products are always top notch and inspires me to create.

With Record 1.5 / Reason 5 the introduction of the dongle ("Ignition Key") has put a fly in the otherwise excellent soup. Shortly put: it irritates me. Sure - I can authorize online _every time I run the product_. At that point I'm losing my flow already. And my PC doesn't always do a good job of initializing the USB devices when waking from sleep, so even with the dongle I get the damn screen and need to take action (re-insert dongle, authorize online, whatever).

I'm a software development veteran and know that you can get good enough protection against piracy through less aggressive measures. The Native Instruments or Ableton approach, for example, is significantly better than the dongle. And, the kids are going to crack your copy protection anyway, perhaps spending an extra week for the dongle.

Please don't piss off your loyal customers in hunt of a few pirates. It's not worth it.