Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2010-10-17, 12:10

Question Reason Synth Quality vs VSTI or Hardware

Hello producers,

i recently started an electronic oriented band and finally managed to convince all of them to work with Reason, but after a couple of tracks some of them, including me, are seriously beginning to wonder if the quality derived from the Subtractor, Maelstrom and Thor are truly a worthy adversary for professional VSTI and Hardware Synths.

We are under the impression that the overal sound of Reason Synths is rather flat, while the sound that comes from Hardware is much more powerful and well "Phat". The only thing we have come up with (so far) is to try and edit the flatness by using the Scream 4 Distortion Unit, turning off the distortion itself, but editting the shape of the sound with the Body Section of the SDU, yet still it leaves a lot to wish for.

For now, it seems that the only thing Reason Synths are good at, is to use them as textures/layers while using VSTI or Hardware Samples, which is kind of a let down. I was hoping to solely work with Reason, so here i am, asking for useful advice on how to make Reason Synths sound alot more powerful and "phat".

Kind regards,

Omkara Techichi

(that being said, i am not the best sound designer in the world, so the fault may very well lie with me!)

Last edited by omkara; 2010-10-17 at 12:25.