Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2010-11-02, 16:24
DonPromenade

Oldschool funk/soul vocal shots..?

Well, I listen to a lot of old school hiphop from the start- and mid-90's, which I also get a lot of inspiration from in my musical creations.
One of the key elements I've noticed in many tracks within this era of hiphop, is the use of looped voice 'shots' (parts of a vocal sampled with the beats as part of the loop).
I've then been wondering... How are those voices usually acquired? From various funk/soul acapellas? Cut from ordinary releases? (those are usually with instruments all over the vocal). I've got a few sample packs with voice loops, and such, but those are mostly vocals targeted at dance, house, etc.

To exemplify what I mean, I suggest a handful of old hiphop tracks that contain those:
I.e. House of Pain's "Jump Around" there appears a sampled voice loop in the background. Tracks like "Guess Who's Back", and "Put on your shit kickers" are also quite emphasizing. Or the chorus in "The Funky Cypress Hill Shit" and "Something For The Blunted" by Cypress Hill).

Hope that was understandable enough.