Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2010-11-21, 19:48

Reason 5 Pc Vs. Mac, I need some advice

Hey guys, I'm just looking for a little quick advice here. I know there's plenty of forums out there, yet I can't seem to find specific information for my case, so let's just say this it's a slightly different matter than the usual.

I've been a PC user for the last 15 years, never had a Mac and have had very little contact with it whatsoever.

I recently bought a brand new Dell studio 1555 laptop, with Core 2 duo T9600@2.80 Ghz processor, 8GB in RAM and a 320 hard drive. I also bought an M-Audio profire 2626, all of this only to discover the huge incompatibility issues between M-Audio interfaces and Ricoh firewire chipsets, somehow a Dell standard on all current laptops. I'm fed up with this problem, I just coulnd't make it work, I kept on getting buffer underruns and communication crashes between the laptop and the interface; I bought the firewire expresscard with the Texas Instruments chip, which made things slightly better, but didn't eliminate the problem completely or at least to a reliable state. I've tried everything I could think of and everything I could find in forums with no luck.

So I'm thinking about returning or selling the Dell and getting my very first mac, so here's the actual question:

I need reliability because I'm using the system on live applications, using reason and an Axiom 61 controller on live gigs. Now, Reason has never actually "crashed", it's just that the pc somehow looses comunication with the interface, but the software never stops working itself. Stuff suddenly stops working, Axiom suddenly doesn't respond, or recieves erroneous midi information through a secondary keyboard I have it hooked up to through it's "Midi in" port. Mac is supposed to eliminate compatibility issues right? I mean, being mac the original developers of firewire and all.

So, will getting a mac actually solve these kind of issues? or is Mac more about software and system crashes, rather than harware time-outs?

There's a lot of money invested in my current system and I really don't want to change it blindfolded, so any reply will be highly appreciated. Thank you.