Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2010-11-24, 23:27

Question How to analyze waveforms and where sounds lie in stereo field

I know little about where to pan sounds and the whole "stereo field" thing, but I'd like to learn.

Is there some software out there that I can have running alongside Record that'll let me sort of "analyze" the sound coming out of Record at any given time?

I'd like to be able to say, solo a drum track and visually see (in that 3rd party app) where it lies in the way of frequency, as well as stereo field, and then record that visual image, and then solo a bass track, and see the same thing, but overlapped over the original image. And repeat with other tracks. Because I understand one of the goals is to get the various sounds in their own spot in the frequency/stereo field, so that sounds don't "step on each other's toes" so to speak.

It seems like Record doesn't really offer a good way to do this.

I've tried "spectre" already (http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/spectre/) but I could not for the life of me figure out how to get it to hear Record in real-time. I tried Soundflower to no avail.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I am just trying to learn how to make good mixes. And doing it by ear is fine to a point, but I feel like I need to "see" what's happening as well.