Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2011-04-25, 15:26

Filtering Incoming Midi Data - Pitch Bend Range Problems - Roland GR-55

Hi all,

Have used Reason since version 1.0 and am a dedicated Record fan. I've never had the problem I have now where (I think) I may need to filter some incoming midi data.

I've used Axon guitar to midi converters for years and they are the gold standard. I also have recently picked up a Roland GR-55 guitar synth that I'd like to use live to trigger it's internal sounds and also Reason. However, the GR-55 has limited control over the midi data it sends, and something in the data stream does not play well with Reason. The GR-55 has a fixed(!) pitch bend range of +/-24, and even when I set my Reason synths to that range I get pitches jumping around all over the place. I beleive the problem is in the pitch bend data since Reason responds perfectly when the GR-55 is set to NOT transmit pitch bend data at all.

So, I'm wondering if I'm getting some sort of non-standard pitch bend data out of the GR-55, and maybe I'm getting some other modulation data that I'm not aware of.

To that end, if anyone has experience with Reason and Roland guitar synths, I'd love some insight. Also, is there a way to filter incoming midi data inside of Reason (as opposed to sending the signal through MidiOx or similar software?

Appreciate any guidance,