Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2011-05-10, 15:28

Question How do you determine your genre?

Just a conversational thread here, curious what others think.

Music Making Month provoked me to start a soundcloud account. As I was uploading a track, I was prompted with a field called genre. I had to really sit and think about this. I personally have always had the hardest time determining genres. I remember listening to a Fatboy Slim album, and commenting amongst friends about whatever genre I happened to call it that day. Without fail, I was corrected everytime - even if I called it the genre I was corrected with the previous time. Maybe my friends were just jerks - but maybe you know the feeling of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I started thinking about the songs I've written. And I realize a lot of the music that comes out of Reason / Record doesn't seem or feel like what I write. How do you classify your music?

I ended up labeling my track as electronic -- because it is electronic. I'm sure that isn't where it belongs. Experimental? Help me out.

http://soundcloud.com/danthonymartin/the-plodding-song