Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2011-10-29, 10:33

Why I simply cannot bring myself to buy Reason

Hi guys.

Have now spent many days if not a week with the Demo version of Reason 6. As a way of thanking everyone for the contribution to this thread (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...175#post950175) I am updating here with the conclusion that to be fair is drastically different from the initial question.

I will NOT be buying Reason 6. Even though I think the majority of it is superb.

My reasons are the following. (I understand some may agree / not agree but these are what has put me right off.)

No MIDI Out:-

This has been done to death but those of us with hardware set ups are excluded from Reason. Try as we may there is no easy way of implementing hardware with Reason. Rewire could have been the solution to get around this but read on....

ReWire:-

This has to be the worst invention ever!!! Sorry guys. How PH can come up with a product that only slaves there software to others is pritty much admitting defeat in the first place. I honestly think this is horrendous from a marketing point of view.

If I want to use an effect from Reason in Ableton or a synth then no worries, yet there is no way to get this working the other way. Can anyone else see how this is putting Reason on a lower plain of existence from the off set?

As a total ReWire newbie, this is how I expected the product to work (And if it did I would be buying Reason 6 now.)

I would launch Reason 6 and my choice of DAW (Ableton Live 8 for me) I would then like to sequence my hardware synths and any VSTs in Ableton and then output these audio channels DIRECTLY INTO THE FANTASTIC REASON 6 MIXER!!!!! I would like to make use to the emulation of a hardware studio you only get in Reason 6. Why the hell can the PH not see the potential of there own product like I can????

I dont want to use Reason 6's reverb in Ableton?? Why would I, Ableton has its own reverbs thank you and of course access to other plugs and actual hardware that it allows you to plug in.

Put simply I want a rewire that will output from DAW to Reason 6's inputs. Thus putting Reason 6 on the same level as other DAWs and why should it not be?? Only allowing Reason to run as a slave is absolutely bizarre and makes no marketing sense nor does it strengthen the corporate PH brand at all.

Lack of VST support:-

Ok, before you all flame me for this one I do not think Reason should support VSTs directly. However via a proper version of ReWire. IE I can output my VSTs in Ableton directly into the Reason 6 Mixer.

I totally get why not to allow VSTs into Reason directly as it would riun the stability. But there should be a way of doing this via ReWire.

Ok, this is why I will not be buying Reason 6. I have learned that Reason 6 is its own self contained product and has no want to branch out to include other gear or handshake properly with other DAWs what to me is a missed opportunity and could open the floodgates for sales.

Whilst I do not see reason 6 from that limited self confined view point as it sees itself. I see it as the only hardware studio emulation ever made and a great one at that and an absolute shame that it can only be used as a closed system.

Should PH ever address the above issues what to be fair all boils down to implementing a proper ReWire solution I will be quite happy to stump up the cash instantly but it is version 6, and if these things were to be rectified they would have been done by now.

I am left baffled by PH and their marketing strategies?