Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2011-12-14, 01:59

Evaluating Reason 6

I'm looking for a platform from which to create the soundtrack for a multimedia presentation. The major part of this work is to create a collage of snippets or clips out of a collection of interviews I'm compiling of the subjects of the presentation.

So the functionality I need is around importing sound files, editing them into snippets and then using those snippets in some sort of sampling tool that is fired pseudo-randomly via an external MIDI sequencing package -- at this stage the external tool is Noatikl. Presumably I could do this with one of the Reason tools, but this is where I'm at, now.

I've seen other posts on this topic so I'm aware that I can create the snippets by importing the interview file into a track in the sequencer and dividing it into clips. I gather these clips can then be bounced out as samples.

And that's where the story ends as far as I've been able to find out. My major concern is not getting into a situation where I'm blowing my brains out messing with the root key of a hoard of samples in order to ensure that the samples play at the proper, as opposed to faster or slower, speed. I want them to come out just right.

I've read the Sampling chapter and scanned the chapter on the MX-19 (I _think_ that's its name) but the information, for as really, really good as this documentation is (compared to some other packages I've looked at) is... circumspect on my particular application. And concern.

So my question: can someone point me to some information that will clarify this for me and reassure me that I can _easily_ do what I need to do? And maybe give me a hint as to which of the sampler instruments would be the best housing option. For example, the drum machines seem to be constrained to 16 voices; I'm going to need more than that. (In Live, for example, there's an automatic function that will import up to 127 samples into one of its drum machines.)

I'm sure my requirements will eventually expand beyond this very narrow function, but it's key right now. And I'm pretty comfortable that any other needs can be addressed one way or another by Reason 6. It's certainly more than I know how to operate at this stage.

Thanks for your help. ...edN