Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-01-21, 01:25

I would like to impose some questions...

Here are two ideas that I know sound arrogant and ignorant, but I would really like some feedback, that isn't derived from some quick opinion but rather though long tough experience and perhaps some sort of technical or music industry related fact.

The first regards those expensive high end (or even entry level) studio monitors;
If you aren't recording bands or vocalists or doing mastering for your work or other peoples' recordings then what is the point of buying such equipment for say, your bedroom or small production studio? Your mix is not going to be perfect, unless you spend a lot of money on monitors and acoustics and you have had A LOT of experience. So don't you just end up taking whatever you made and sending it to someone else to get it mastered professionally? What is the point then in even investing in monitors when all you really need is a good set of headphones?

The second naive and arrogant statement regards analog vs digital;
Everyone uses those cliche and abstract terms for analog sound as being 'warmer' and 'fuller'. Surely with a bit of eq, and perhaps compression etc you will be able to achieve such a sound. Even if its not quite perfect, it still going to be sitting in the mix amongst other instruments and the average listener isn't going to criticize the such a detail of the sound of your synths. So really such differences will go unnoticeable. So why all the fuss?

I hope the use of the words 'naive', 'arrogant' and 'ignorant' don't go unnoticed.. A lot of the users on this forum have a knack for being abusive and crude so I'm trying to be as humble as I can.

Can anyone open things up and educate me on these matters?

Thanks
D