Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-02-19, 21:14

VST Support and/or API

I don't frequent these forums, so I'm not sure if this is a request that is made frequently or not (but I would imagine it would be)

Now, for those with infinite wealth, one could simply rewire reason into another DAW to mix the best of both worlds, and this is probably good enough for a lot of people. But for artists who have a tight budget and can't afford to wrap Reason inside of Ableton or Cubase or what logic pro or what have you, and also can't afford very much studio time, Reason becomes rather limited in a couple of ways.

I'm not saying that the tools bundled with reason are bad, but, particularly for certain effects, and certain mixing and mastering techniques, become difficult or (as far as I can tell) impossible to accomplish. At the very least, it becomes very messy. Side-chain effects, 2-3 carrier FM synthesis (okay, we have Thor, I know, but still, it's very awkward, and still seems to limit the timbre possibilities).

I'm not terribly familiar with the issues around VST support, perhaps steinberg charges a license fee or something, but it is just the kind of thing that essentially all DAWs have these days.

I know that the developers have better things to do than hack together an API for extending the capabilities of the DAW, and perhaps incorporating VST has some downsides as well.

But, some way to improve the overall capabilities of Reason as a standalone workstation, would more than justify me, with my limited wealth, purchasing Reason 7.

Again: I know that you can very awkwardly hack together all sorts of timbres and effects, but with an API or VST support, we could do this in a much more straight forward way, without the rear rack becoming a total mess of cables, with a dozen or more devices to achieve a single sound or effect.