Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-05-22, 04:56

Question Record Label Help

So I need some advice concerning another musical project of mine completely unrelated to Reason. I am in a band that recently signed to a label that people we know created. We gave them the right to publish/promote our music, book shows, have any say of what we release in the next two years, and a split of profits. My concerns as of right now are royalties, as I don't really understand them.

The label launches tomorrow. As part of the launch, they're going on some radio show to talk and play some of the music that involves the label. Everything will also be available to stream for free and purchase if you want to. I feel like they also plan on uploading it to places like SoundCloud, Spotify, probably Pandora, iTunes, etc etc.

I know there are minimal royalties for Spotify and the like. They have said nothing about these royalties. So my question is: would I benefit from signing up for ASCAP or anything of the like? Are they even trustworthy? I wouldn't be surprised to hear if the label did that themselves and want to protect myself as much as I possibly can. Will they be collecting royalties as a publisher?

Anyone who can help, I thank you.