Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-05-29, 03:07

Advice on studio gear (recording interface & monitors)

Hi all, I just wanted get peoples views on this, i'm upgrading my studio soon and I want to get a good recording interface, and some studio monitors.

Firstly I have NO STUDIO monitors. (terrible I know). The studio monitors I was first looking at were the overated (imo) KRK monitors which I have tried out, and to be honest i'm not too impressed with them, and thinking more of getting a pair of Alesis M1 monitors which my friend who used to produce with has had experience with and likes the sound from them.

http://www.studiospares.com/studio-m...y%2BkzpQ%3D%3D

Now for recording interfaces, I have a 2x2 mackie onyx blackjack recording interface, which to be honest has caused me so many headaches (and thats before i've even managed to record anything with it). Although I do not doubt it's power and greatness, just my crappy laptop. But i'm soon upgrading with 3 new audio built PC's for my studio i'm getting soon, which I will be using for recording, composing and mixing. So the recording interface i'm looking at getting is the mackie onyx blackbird, which is like the blackjack, except is a 16x16 firewire recording interface: http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxblackbird/

One of the reasons I want this is because I have a 12 channel analogue mixing desk, and I would like to hook the blackbird upto this mixing desk for recording and mixing.

So does anybody have any experience with these mentioned items? And any recommendations for any other monitors and audio interfaces. To be honest i'm not looking to spend much on monitors, £200 tops. And for a recording interface i'm willing to spend more, upto £400 for a good quality one, typically with atleast 8 outputs.

Thanks!