Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-07-27, 10:18

Question MIDI keyboard vs On-Screen Piano (Computer Keys)

I've been touch typing for years and never really brought myself to play the piano.

Am I the only one who finds composing with the On-Screen Piano (Computer Keys) actually easier, faster and more effective than with a dedicated MIDI controller?

The official drawback is the lack of velocity sensitivity but you can quickly and easily set the velocity for the phrase you want to play with the upper row shortcuts and even add some natural human randomness (Velocity Variation) to it. Since I'm not a very good keyboard player this at least allows me to have consistent velocity of my choice ans actually sounds better.

I'm just curious what your main input device is, my 25 key MIDI controller is actually collecting dust.