Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-08-20, 21:27
dakotapotts

Help a noob out with Reason and M-Audio

Hello,
I signed up for the forum hoping you guys could help me with some problems. Using the search bar didn't bring up what I needed, so I figured I'd post here.

One of my dad's friends recently transferred his Reason license over to me and gave me a Digidesign Mbox 2 with a big Reason symbol on the front, as well as an M-Audio Axiom 49 MIDI controller.

I've been a musician for a couple of years and I've never experimented with MIDI or any advanced DAW. It's mostly been limited to Audacity and Garageband. So understandably I was happy to move on to a "real" recording suite.

I've always gotten lag on my computer, and I was a little dismayed to find that the keyboard still had some lag when recording into Reason. I've cleared out all the CPU space I can, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I have a feeling it has to do with my Audio card. When using a Line 6 UX2, I got no lag, but the one I have is on the fritz and produces way too much hiss.

Now I went to plug in the Mbox and it won't turn on, even when plugged into Reason. I can't find a driver for it and am hoping someone can help me troubleshoot.

Also, a very noob question, can you use Reason for recording real instruments? I definitely want to experiment, but I also would like to be able to record a full band of instruments live (one track at a time) with no quantization, electric effects, etc.

If it helps, I am using Reason Version 4, Academic.

One of my basses is about to go through the window, so if anybody can help me out here, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dakota