Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-11-03, 03:31

Learning to play ..... Again!

Every so often I get the strong urge to have another crack at learning to play keyboards/ piano. Usually something starts me off like seeing someone else play, or getting a new synth (in this case it's Antidote) that makes me hungry to learn again. But I always struggle with this. In the past I've taken piano lessons, bought books on music theory, scales, chords etc, tried self teaching, ear training (which i was pretty good at up to a point) But I never seem to get anywhere! I get a lot of the theory but I seem to have a mental block putting it into practice! Ive tried learning scales/chords but I end up making music I don't like!

So what to do! Ultimately I'd like to be able to transcribe ideas I get in my head. But I'd love to be able to play with even a basic level of confidence as well. I feel I need a new approach though as piano lessons learning 'merrily we roll along' and 'Michael row your boat ashore' bored me senselessly + I just didn't feel like I was really anything! Any thoughts, ideas, advise, pearls of encouragement please? Or is it just that some people are not meant to do this kind of thing?

Last edited by Dogboy1973; 2012-11-03 at 04:14.